Vehicle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
More power from Factory is not important to me. Since they are all the same Motor, just with different factory tunes, when you go after market tuning they all end up at the same level.

The CCD is also not as good for my towing needs. I have the load leveling rear. I liked the CCD platinum I drove though.

Like our Limited. Bought it new. Paid less than 55. Ours is an EL 4x4 with all the options, except 22’s and CCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More power from Factory is not important to me. Since they are all the same Motor, just with different factory tunes, when you go after market tuning they all end up at the same level.

The CCD is also not as good for my towing needs. I have the load leveling rear. I liked the CCD platinum I drove though.

Like our Limited. Bought it new. Paid less than 55. Ours is an EL 4x4 with all the options, except 22’s and CCD.

Sorry my post probably sounded dkheadish. I didn't mean it that way. Just that I felt they should have had more soft touch and less plastic in the limited expedition. I guess they have the Platinum and King ranch that are other upgrades so they have to save some stuff for those. Don't get me wrong, any expedition or navigator is nicer than any vehicle I have ever owned so they are all an upgrade.

One more thing. The thx sound system in the 2008 navigator is miles ahead of the thx system in the 2015. It has almost double the power and much much stronger bass. Seems like they cheaped out somewhere on the newer Navi or mine isn't working properly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry my post probably sounded dkheadish. I didn't mean it that way. Just that I felt they should have had more soft touch and less plastic in the limited expedition. I guess they have the Platinum and King ranch that are other upgrades so they have to save some stuff for those. Don't get me wrong, any expedition or navigator is nicer than any vehicle I have ever owned so they are all an upgrade.

One more thing. The thx sound system in the 2008 navigator is miles ahead of the thx system in the 2015. It has almost double the power and much much stronger bass. Seems like they cheaped out somewhere on the newer Navi or mine isn't working properly.

All good! Agree on the Plastics. I would have never paid the retail price for ours!

Yeah, we have the Sony System in our Limited with Sync 3. Leaves a bit to be desired. Might eventually swap out for better speakers.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would I have a Sony in my '14 EL Limited? I went from an '04 Tahoe to the EL and the Bose in the Tahoe was spectacular. The EL is OK, but I miss the Bose. I would think it would take more than a speaker upgrade, but I'm no expert. I'm not into the big boxes of noise within the cargo space, but is there an option for better sound?
Thanks...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would I have a Sony in my '14 EL Limited? I went from an '04 Tahoe to the EL and the Bose in the Tahoe was spectacular. The EL is OK, but I miss the Bose. I would think it would take more than a speaker upgrade, but I'm no expert. I'm not into the big boxes of noise within the cargo space, but is there an option for better sound?
Thanks...

The Bose system in the GMs has went way downhill over the years, the older systems were better imo

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Bose system in the GMs has went way downhill over the years, the older systems were better imo

The earlier systems were designed by Bose and their Engineers tunes the system to the particular vehicle model they were in. The later systems were not, and in most cases were only small improvements over the base.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could start with speakers, that's the logical starting point. Speakers are the biggest sound difference in car or home entertainment systems. If you want big improvements, don't cheap out though. I'd get ahold of Crutchfield, they have been my go to over the years, when I needed a fitment question answered, or wanted to know if they'd done an upgrade, and how'd it sound. As I've stated in other posts, your dealing with a fairly low powered amplifier from Lincoln. My guess would be no more than 15-20 watts per channel of listenable wattage .Your front door and pillar tweeter speakers are going to be your biggest difference on change out. I don't know your budget, but their are some nice JL audio, or Focal speakers around the $500.00 to $700.00 range that should ***** the sound up to the next level. If your head unit in dash has some sort of filter, or is just a bad sounding booger, you may have to also switch that out for one of the better Pioneer or Alpine units. Again, as you climb the ladder on price, the amplifier, and preamp sections in the head units make a Sonic difference that most humans with good hearing will notice.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you can swap out the Ford sync 2 headunits since they are heavily tied to the workings of the car. I'll look into the speakers. I'm going to take it to the dealer for the suspension issue and also get them to look into the front doors since they both rattle like crazy when the music is turned up a bit.

Our 2008 navigator is so powerful you can only get the volume to halfway before your ears can't take anymore and nothing rattles. This system in the newer nav just feels wayyyyy underpowered. I'm sure a stronger amp would help even the stock speakers.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your 2008 have the THX sound? That was a great system, hard to beat it. The Sony systems have clear sound but generally feel underpowered compared to the Audiophile and THX systems.