Vibration while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trailer is around 5k loaded and when I put my canoe on top I didn’t notice any dip in performance or MPG. I expected a drop in mpg and was surprised there wasn’t much if any.
Any empty canoe upside down on the roof is actually very aerodynamic - not only on the outside of the hull, but air that rides up the windshield can pass through the inside of the canoe and back down the back of the truck. Shouldn't see much negative mpg from a canoe.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any empty canoe upside down on the roof is actually very aerodynamic - not only on the outside of the hull, but air that rides up the windshield can pass through the inside of the canoe and back down the back of the truck. Shouldn't see much negative mpg from a canoe.
Very interesting info!

Red Raider

Reaction score
My trailer is around 5k loaded and when I put my canoe on top I didn’t notice any dip in performance or MPG. I expected a drop in mpg and was surprised there wasn’t much if any.

Good to know. Planning a 3-4 week trip up north pulling the camper with two bikes on the back and at least one 12’ WS kayak on the roof of the truck.

007BC7F0-3E53-479C-9844-B8FAD12F6B40.jpeg

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulled my camping trailer for the first time this weekend. It has all terrain trailer tires and weighs around 2,000 lbs. I was very pleased with the trucks ability to tow it at 75 mph with very little effort. I'm interested to see how it handles the drag from a couple of kayaks on the roof while towing the camper. My Armada was a great tow vehicle but put anything on the roof and it sucked.

View attachment 36372
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised...

02F04576-0CA7-4E98-86E4-0F1D38AB0612.jpeg

ScottB

Reaction score
Shane_th_ee,
Would you mind sharing your roof rack setup (I don't have crossbars yet)? Any real advantage of using Kayak hooks vs just laying down flat?
Thanks for the help!

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulled my camping trailer for the first time this weekend. It has all terrain trailer tires and weighs around 2,000 lbs. I was very pleased with the trucks ability to tow it at 75 mph with very little effort. I'm interested to see how it handles the drag from a couple of kayaks on the roof while towing the camper. My Armada was a great tow vehicle but put anything on the roof and it sucked.

View attachment 36372

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious....i know on my trailer tires it says the max speed for the tires is 65 mph. So i do keep my towing speed around 63 mph. Does anyone else check their tires for max speed, or do you just ignore the trailor tire recommendations and drives as fast as you want?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious....i know on my trailer tires it says the max speed for the tires is 65 mph. So i do keep my towing speed around 63 mph. Does anyone else check their tires for max speed, or do you just ignore the trailor tire recommendations and drives as fast as you want?
I replaced mine with Goodyear Endurance: made in USA and rated to 87MPH.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shane_th_ee,
Would you mind sharing your roof rack setup (I don't have crossbars yet)? Any real advantage of using Kayak hooks vs just laying down flat?
Thanks for the help!
I have the Thule Evo Wing bars with the Thule Hull-a-Port XT. To me, the big advantage of the hook carrier is that I can carry two kayaks on one $200 rack instead of having to buy two $250 carriers. Additionally, we live in the city and park the Expedition outside so I really wanted a lockable solution.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced mine with Goodyear Endurance: made in USA and rated to 87MPH.

I will have to look into those tires. I generally try to keep it to 65-70 when towing but one time I had a child nearly die in the back seat and I was doing 95 with the trailer trying to get to the ER. I was a bit worried about the tires that time!