Vibration while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

m3bs

Reaction score
It was much better the last time I towed, but not completely gone. I think the new tires on the trailer helped, as did shifting weight off the tongue. I was close to 600# initially, and moved my car back on the trailer to reduce it to about 500. My trailer is too low to use with a weight distributing hitch, and it shouldn't be necessary with a total weight of about 5000#.

I also think the OEM Toyo tires on the Expedition tend to take a cold set, resulting in some vibration for the first half hour or so.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed going from a truck to SUV towing is there is more noise and vibration in general than a pickup. The trucks bed and cab are separated helping in the vibration and noise. All my trailers seem to vibrate when towing with the Expy. My boat is super bad and it is time for wheel bearings and tires. I hope, if not back to a tank of a Superduty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was much better the last time I towed, but not completely gone. I think the new tires on the trailer helped, as did shifting weight off the tongue. I was close to 600# initially, and moved my car back on the trailer to reduce it to about 500. My trailer is too low to use with a weight distributing hitch, and it shouldn't be necessary with a total weight of about 5000#.

I also think the OEM Toyo tires on the Expedition tend to take a cold set, resulting in some vibration for the first half hour or so.

I also had the OEM Toyo's on 20" wheels, and quickly noticed their tendency to flat spot even from sitting overnight. I quickly swapped to Michelin Defender LTX M/S (tire shop bought the used Toyo's for a fair price) and the ride is much improved over the Toyos, and no more flat spotting!

OP
OP
M

m3bs

Reaction score
Bringing this one back again. New car on new trailer, new tires. Vibration at 55-60 was bad enough to wear my neck out after a 2-hour drive. I could look over and see the passenger seat shaking. Didn't seem to matter whether or not it was under load or not, just that speed range. At 65-70 it was smooth. Doesn’t seem to matter what gear it is in, either. Seems like a higher frequency than wheel speed on the Expedition, but it sure feels like a wheel balance issue. Except...it goes away without the trailer attached.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bringing this one back again. New car on new trailer, new tires. Vibration at 55-60 was bad enough to wear my neck out after a 2-hour drive. I could look over and see the passenger seat shaking. Didn't seem to matter whether or not it was under load or not, just that speed range. At 65-70 it was smooth. Doesn’t seem to matter what gear it is in, either. Seems like a higher frequency than wheel speed on the Expedition, but it sure feels like a wheel balance issue. Except...it goes away without the trailer attached.
Sounds like one of the trailer wheels needs to be balanced. It’s a new trailer with new tires but those throws were on it when you bought it or you had them mounted and balanced and put on it?

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score

So with my old car hauler, it would shake like crazy towing it empty on the highway, but as soon as I loaded the trailer with a vehicle it would smooth out.

I just hauled a utility trailer this weekend and it would shake the Expy from 60-65 mph. My kids loved it because they liked how their voices sounded though. It did it both unloaded and with my mower on it. Mines a 2018 Max 4x4 with CCD and max tow.

OP
OP
M

m3bs

Reaction score
I did balance the tires on my old trailer. I just checked the wheels on the new trailer and didn’t see any weights, so I have another project for this week.

I had vibration at 35-45 with the trailer empty. With a 4000# car on it, the range was 55-65 mph.

OP
OP
M

m3bs

Reaction score
Balanced the tires yesterday. Max weight added was only 1.25 oz. so I don’t think that would cause it. We will see.

Red Raider

Reaction score
Pulled my camping trailer for the first time this weekend. It has all terrain trailer tires and weighs around 2,000 lbs. I was very pleased with the trucks ability to tow it at 75 mph with very little effort. I'm interested to see how it handles the drag from a couple of kayaks on the roof while towing the camper. My Armada was a great tow vehicle but put anything on the roof and it sucked.

upload_2020-6-2_14-14-26.png

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulled my camping trailer for the first time this weekend. It has all terrain trailer tires and weighs around 2,000 lbs. I was very pleased with the trucks ability to tow it at 75 mph with very little effort. I'm interested to see how it handles the drag from a couple of kayaks on the roof while towing the camper. My Armada was a great tow vehicle but put anything on the roof and it sucked.

View attachment 36372
My trailer is around 5k loaded and when I put my canoe on top I didn’t notice any dip in performance or MPG. I expected a drop in mpg and was surprised there wasn’t much if any.