Vibration while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3bs

Reaction score
42CB5749-8A8D-4042-B26D-80B20AC71C65.jpeg I’m getting a vibration through the chassis at highway speeds when pulling my open car trailer with my ‘19 Limited RWD. It feels like a rear wheel out of balance, but there’s no trace of it without the trailer. I’m at about 550# tongue load, but it doesn’t seem to be sagging enough to cause the driveline to be excessively out of line. Anybody else run across this?

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Happened to me.
The trailer had a tire out of balance

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I was gonna say too, I bet it is coming from the trailer.

OP
OP
M

m3bs

Reaction score
Trailer tires are past due for replacement anyway, so I'll try that. It is just puzzling that I didn't have the issue the last time I towed with my Armada.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't have the issue the last time I towed with my Armada.

You didn't point that out in the OP. How long ago was that? If a long time, maybe a flat spot on the trailer tire (unless it went away). Or maybe the tongue weight accented a tire issue on the Expy. Your new trailer tires will tell.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have my trailer tires balanced for the few dollars it costs when I change them..... Helps.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you ever find out what it was? I just pulled my boat to get winterized and serviced and the vibrations was so bad it was making my head hurt. Never got it past 50 and it was a short trip. It’s never done this before. Everything looked good. My hitch is real sloppy in the ExP. same hitch is tight in the F-150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

m3bs

Reaction score
I mounted up new tires yesterday, but haven’t tried towing it yet. Externally, the old rubber looked fine, but they had a 2013 date code.

otrain

Reaction score
My 2018 4WD Expedition has a severe vibration pulling my empty horse trailer. Did you solve your problem yet? My dealer has no clue. (My 1/2 ton got totaled recently so this was the first time I hitched the trailer, 2500 lbs. Trailer always ran smooth, Expedition runs fine without the trailer, but it shakes way too much to feel safe trailering horses. Please let me know if you found a solution.