Void warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got my tunes in from 5 star today. I'm not 100% on yes it will or not. What my plans are is to re-install/write to flash the STOCK tune prior to any mechanic shop/dealership working on/troubleshooting my expy. To include not Verbally stating that I ever had a tune installed while speaking with the folks that work there. I do know if they can prove you had a tune & can correlate it to something broken then yes it will not be covered under warranty (wish them luck in that endeavor) .

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The short answer is yes.

They will absolutely find out it's tuned (we aren't in the 2000s anymore) even if flashed back to stock and should there be a drivetrain issue they will automatically default to blaming the tune. Most people don't know that the burden of proof is in them to prove it was the tune that caused the issue but with adding boost and performance that equals stress on the drivetrain. It depends on the dealer how far you will need to take it (lawyer?). The other reality is by tuning you are allowing the engine to operate outside the specs specified by the manufacturer.

It honestly is down to the discretion of your specific dealer. I used to drive 2hrs each way for service on another dealer because they were mod friendly.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck with your electric SUV and it's 75 mile range. Hopefully you won't get locked inside if it catches .
And wait till they put a road tax on your electric use. I'll keep my gas powered SUV.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Grey ghost
Sine we like being dramatic.... Good luck affording insurance for you non-self driving vehicle and relying on a substance controlled by the middle east and Russia. One little spat between those two and suddenly oil is worth less than zero.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Technically the answer is “maybe”. The tune alone doesn’t automatically void the warranty. The tune would have to be shown to effect whatever failed.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Grey ghost
Sine we like being dramatic.... Good luck affording insurance for you non-self driving vehicle and relying on a substance controlled by the middle east and Russia. One little spat between those two and suddenly oil is worth less than zero.

Except that the US has become the world's largest oil producer in the last 4 years. We export more than we import (but still import a lot from Saudi, to keep the dollar afloat). Of course, "US Oil" is more expensive to extract / produce ...but there'll be ICE's on the road for a long time to come. The predictions of an EV-saturated, US auto-market are the imaginations of those that seek to profit from it, and those that have a genuine (perhaps irrational) hate for oil production.

All THAT being said ...I am totally a buyer of the Atlis XT truck if it ever comes to fruition. The Rivian is ugly. The Cybertruck is a bad joke (IMHO) ...but if Atlis delivers what they say they can (and supposedly will) ...I'm all over it. Thinking about replacing my wife's Honda Pilot with a Tesla Model S ...if they actually make a 6-seater that seats something beyond 3 year-old's in the 3rd row (as the current design stands, no one over 3' tall could sit in that back seat).

As far as "self-driving" goes...I won't be holding my breath for rates to be higher (for responsible drivers), versus a self-driving vehicle. If technology has taught the world anything, it's that it is pretty fallible and sensitive to many environmental factors. Given the work duty of the system, we're further than most people admit ...or believe ...to it being "safer" to be in self-driving mode over human piloting. What is much more likely is that insurance rates will go up that don't own vehicles that have collision avoidance systems and other tech that has already shown it can dramatically reduce traffic incidents (and fatalities), without completely turning the driving responsibilities over to a computer. LONG way to go for these systems to recognize things like stop signs (and other manual traffic controls) ...small pedestrians, animals & wildlife.

The "pro EV" world postulates this idea this is all going to happen and be "hunky-dory" by 2023. From where I'm standing, they'll need to add roughly a decade to that for it to actually be more than a pipe dream.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
I was wanting advice about the warranty because I plan on keeping our expedition until electric, hydrogen, or flying cars are a reality. For me the designs of Tesla and Rivian are beautiful and look forward to the future of car design.
The is my first Ford. I really enjoy this SUV but the numbers 5 star is talking about is mind blowing for an middle age man with 4 kids under 5. Thank you again for the help.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FFS, a guy asks about a tune and now a debate about oil vs. electric?

Brian, at the end of the day, a discovered tune will be cause for voiding certain parts of your warranty. A warranty issue may cause them to look for a tune, and attempt to void it. Everyone hopes the Service Manager will ignore it--and they may--but it may come down to what the exact issue is and if main Ford demands a CPU crosscheck.

Also, good luck fighting Ford (or anyone) regarding a warranty issue in court with the electronic evidentiary footprint of an engine/transmission tune. You might be better served by telling them what a "good customer you are."

These drivelines are complex, and expensive. The bottom line, the moment you crack the CPU, you are gambling with your driveline (and some other parts) warranty.

YMMV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett