Want to monitor trans temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The temp is on the CAN buss but you still gotta find a way to read it. Bluetooth gauge plugged into the ODB2 port under the dash to an iPhone app perhaps if you don't want a scan gauge?

Transmission temperature shows on my 2017 dash -- not that it helps you -- showing ambient air temperature since the truck hasn't been driven in a couple of days. Oil temperature is there too but only as Low-Normal-High. Guessing on the High as I've never seen it on the display.

-- Chuck

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The temp is on the CAN buss but you still gotta find a way to read it. Bluetooth gauge plugged into the ODB2 port under the dash to an iPhone app perhaps if you don't want a scan gauge?

Transmission temperature shows on my 2017 dash -- not that it helps you -- showing ambient air temperature since the truck hasn't been driven in a couple of days. Oil temperature is there too but only as Low-Normal-High. Guessing on the High as I've never seen it on the display.

-- Chuck
This is on my 2012 Expy EL. My wife's 2016 Expy can show trans temp.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to their website, Ultra Gage doesn't show trans temp gage.

Like a ScanGauge, the UltraGauge can program gauges that aren’t included in the “factory” load of gauges. When I bought my UG for my 2000, I had them program it before they shipped it. When I sold my 2000 and bought a 2014, I had to reprogram it myself to read the new code.

I have a ScanGauge as well. It’s in my Explorer.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like a ScanGauge, the UltraGauge can program gauges that aren’t included in the “factory” load of gauges. When I bought my UG for my 2000, I had them program it before they shipped it. When I sold my 2000 and bought a 2014, I had to reprogram it myself to read the new code.

I have a ScanGauge as well. It’s in my Explorer.

UltraGauge Blue looks interesting. Wondering how this OBDLink MX+ compares to their product? Easier to deal with Amazon then UltraGauge.

https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Blue...ge+blue&qid=1611853917&sr=8-3&tag=googhydr-20

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I don’t like about the phone app gauges is that you need to dedicate your phone display to monitoring the gauges. No maps for you!

Have you tried contacting UltraGauge? Don’t remember if I emailed them first or just specified what I needed during the order.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The UltraGauge is like the ScanGauge. Except it costs less, has a better display and displays twice the number of gauges.

I don’t have a picture of mine currently.

+1. I have one also.

According to their website, Ultra Gage doesn't show trans temp gage.

The UltraGauge MX supports trans temp. As someone else mentioned, you can have it pre-programmed with this if buying new or you can program it yourself after the fact.

OP
OP

1111Expy1111

Reaction score
Contacted Ultra Gage. I'd rather burn my thumb nail than deal with those people again! Not getting any of my hard earned money!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Contacted Ultra Gage. I'd rather burn my thumb nail than deal with those people again! Not getting any of my hard earned money!

I think that essentially only leaves you with ScanGauge. All of the app-based junk sold on Amazon are fly-by-night companies and UltraGauge service will seem like the red carpet by comparison.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I had this gauge on my '07. Plastic gauge pod Velcroed to the top of the dashboard. Each line can be selected from a long menu. There are also alarms that can be set and flash the red LEDs. I set it to display TransTemp2 and Cylinder Head Temp. The example is displaying Boost and Trans Temp2. The display will automatically cycle thru several parameters if you want to watch more than two. Text LED color is set at the factory. I recall I used green to match the '07 dash. Just plugs into the OBD2 port.

guage_template_new.gif

Back in '07 the developers used my Expedition to reprogram the firmware to display trans temp. Flashed a new gauge on the spot in their garage.

Here's my gauge in 2007. (Wasn't monitoring cylinder head temp when the photo was taken.)
Trans Temp.jpg

2731207110046203164OkHnOd_fs.jpg

Green was too bright at night. Switched the display to red.

-- Chuck

Last edited: