Weak Brakes - Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whatever you do - do not waste money on slotted/drilled rotors. Check that - feel FREE to waste money on slotted/drilled. A good set of Solid OEM-quality or better rotors with GOOD pads and fluid will fix 98% of whatever anyone needs; short of hauling massive loads or doing track days. Even with track days, slotted/drilled aren't going to give any benefit per dollar you can measure.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know my brakes firmed up with new centric rotors and Hawk LTS pads. I only replaced the rears and it made a pretty big difference.

fordanator

Reaction score
Please update your signature with year - model - engine. Then we know which one to look up.

We have a 2010 king ranch 4x4 (if this makes a diff.) It feels like the ABS is applying backing out of the garage. I have not noticed it going forward.

One thing to note!!! this seemed to become a problem after changing out the rear pads.... I did not open the system...just changed rear pads!! The wife is killing me about this...I still feel it is electrical but the thought of a air bubble getting trapped is something that could happen... we bought the truck used. So I have no clue as to the history of it.

other then this issue it has been a great truck over the last year of ownership..

ss pete

Reaction score
weak brakes

hi guys! I am having same problem . 2007 exp. it stops good if you pump pedal once. I bled the dirty fluid out with mity-vac, one quart! little better, not great. had air in fluid. not much better. manually bled with engine running, much better for 6 months. first abs stop in winter, same thing. bled again, air in calipers again. if you "google" this subject, you find dozens of posts. bottom line seems ABS UNIT leaks internally. hope to hear more as this is a safety issue.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crap. I've got an 11 and thought the brakes were a bit shit compared to my Denali. Now I have to bleed them and see what happens. I always planned on Hawk LTS pads, but maybe bleeding them will help. I've got a Mity-Vac, so it shouldn't be a big issue.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2010 king ranch 4x4 (if this makes a diff.) It feels like the ABS is applying backing out of the garage. I have not noticed it going forward.

One thing to note!!! this seemed to become a problem after changing out the rear pads.... I did not open the system...just changed rear pads!! The wife is killing me about this...I still feel it is electrical but the thought of a air bubble getting trapped is something that could happen... we bought the truck used. So I have no clue as to the history of it.

other then this issue it has been a great truck over the last year of ownership..

Easy way to decide if it is electrical or mechanical is to pull the ABS fuse. If it still does it, then you know it is a warped rotor or sticking pad somewhere. Also check the parking brake for issues inside the rotor.

If it stops, then you know for sure something is of issue with the ABS system, whether it's a wheel speed sensor or something of that nature.

Sent from the Pocket Computer

fordanator

Reaction score
Easy way to decide if it is electrical or mechanical is to pull the ABS fuse. If it still does it, then you know it is a warped rotor or sticking pad somewhere. Also check the parking brake for issues inside the rotor.

If it stops, then you know for sure something is of issue with the ABS system, whether it's a wheel speed sensor or something of that nature.

Sent from the Pocket Computer

Alright!! Thanx I'll get back to y'all on this.