Weak signal on my key/remote

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAR5oh

Reaction score
2010 Limited. Recently noticed both my keys not working very well. Replaced the batteries. Nope. Still gotta be next to the vehicle. Any ideas?

B.

Drmayer88

Reaction score
I feel like my 2017 has the same problem. There are times when I have to be within 5ft of it to work.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel like my 2017 has the same problem. There are times when I have to be within 5ft of it to work.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4. Both remotes work very well - and from log distances, including inside buildings.

I have replaced the batteries when I felt the range was reduced - although the vehicle's DIC did not state to replace the battery per the owner's manual.

Is your 2017 still covered under the basic warranty? If so, did you return to the dealer for diagnosis?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried starting mine from inside another vehicle and the range is significantly reduced. I can start it from inside the house from the bedroom which is about 60 feet away from the truck in the back of the house. I notice that I get better results when I raise the remote above my head.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have noticed in the cold weather the range on my remotes seems to be reduced. I should do a more scientific test when we get another crazy cold spell.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've tried starting mine from inside another vehicle and the range is significantly reduced. I can start it from inside the house from the bedroom which is about 60 feet away from the truck in the back of the house. I notice that I get better results when I raise the remote above my head.

I get better range by holding it up as well. I point the metal key up as I think it acts like an antenna.