Weekend shakedown. 99 Expedition rehab project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sclass-hole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I've had a little time to drive the Expedition and come up with a to do list. If anyone has any time saving tips or knows where to save a few dollars I'd appreciate the help.

*AWD/4HI/4LO lights do not work on the dash and I'm really doubting the system works at all. Turning the wheel all the way left or right and turning tight circles creates no wheel binding. There's also no sound indicating the 4 wheel drive is engaging. Truck was making a terrible racket taking off WOT right at shift points. Pulled fuse 104 and no more noise. Must figure out if it's the knob or something worse before the snow gets here.

*Replace front and rear diff fluid. More preventative than anything because last fluid change is unknown

*ABS light is on. Track down issue and resolve. Not sure where to start. Maybe make sure they're all connected.

*Replace headlights. I spent the better part of yesterday trying to polish them and get the yellow out. Started with the toothepaste method and noticed a minimal difference. Grabbed a 3M kit and worked it for all she had. I feel like that was a waste of money. I've seen replacement lenses on Ebay for around $25 each. I'm not looking for anything exotic so I'll probably just go with a set of OE replicas.

*Clicking sound from dash when I turn on the heat. Causes a vibration in the center console. Turn off the heat, it all goes away. My first guess is that it's got something to do with the rear climate control because the sound lessens when I turn the rear unit on.

*Replace shocks. Truck drifts real bad going down the road and takes too long to settle after going over bumps. It also squeaks real bad going going over speed bumps and even when I step in and out. Not real sure how in depth this is going to be and if I can tackle it myself or if I should just pay to have it done.

*Rear wiper sits loose on the hatch. Rear washer works but wiper does not. Probably just going to try and tighten it up for the winter then dig into it in the Spring. I've just got too many other pressing items that need to be addressed.

*Tires. Depending on how many of these repairs I can do myself and how much I have to farm out, I'm hoping to replace the tires if the budget allows.

*Replace shifter lever. The OD button does not work. Fortunately, it isn't in OD off mode. It's cracked real bad and broken off at the end. Works fine so I'll just let that slide until I find one and have the time to tear it down and replace.

Did a few minor things this weekend:

Replaced overpriced foglight bulb. I priced it online and it was in the $25 range. Luckily, I have about 10,000 light bulbs left from an automotive supply business I used to own. I found 2 cases of H10 bulbs and was able to save myself the cash.

My antenna was wobbling around on the fender so I popped off the cover, put on a little blue threadlocker and tightened it back down.

Replaced 2 burnt out running board bulbs.

My headlight switch would pull off into my hands when I pulled it to activate foglights. Couple of drops of CA and it works like new.

Wrapped some almagamating tape around shifter lever to eliminate another cut on my hands when putting the truck in drive.

Bought a fan belt because this one started squealing after sitting out in the rain overnight. Took a look at the engine bay and decided to put this project off for a few days. I'm sure it's simple but after working on the truck for a few hours, I just wasn't in the mood and I can turn the radio up or hope for dry weather.

I bought this truck to serve solely as a Winter driver but after putting a few miles on it, I think I'll really like it. I know I like pulling up to a stoplight and seeing the legs of the fairer sex from my vantage point. I imagine when skirt and short shorts season gets here, I'll have to take it out every once in awhile to "keep everything lubricated".

Here's a picture after getting the dirt off. Opted for the basic clean since the detail was $150 and the weather here pretty much sucks.

ex.jpg

Last edited:

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Nice truck....what did you have to give for it....Some one here might have a set of headlight replacements you can buy...welcome to the family....its a nice looking expo!

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the shocks are easy enough to be done by the basic amateur as long as you have a little time. Less than a 1.5 hrs to replace all 4, simple task, do it yourself and use the labor cost toward your new tires.

The shifter handle with OD can be had at any junk yard and easy to replace. Take the covers off the column and pull shifter pin and unhook the wiring.

I would say the 4x4 issue is either the dash switch or electronic shift actuator at the transfer. Easy check with a multimeter for both. Either way, it is a simple replacement of either one, or save a few bucks and get one from the junkyard also.

The clicking noise you hear in the dash with heat on could be the blower motor, probably has something in it that is caught up when engaged, with rear air off if probably due to less strain demand to supply the rear.

ABS light, you may want to check the ABS sensor on the 8.8 rearend on top of center chunk, the sensor most times get gunked up with crap from the honing ring throwing oil up on the sensor over the years. Alot of times you can cure it by unplugging it, unbolt the sensor bolt, pull it out and clean it up, then reinstall it. Or the speed sensors at each front knuckle may need cleaning or replaced.

The rear wiper may be unplugged or cut or frayed wiring at the tailgate, very common issue. Another fix with a multimeter to identify where and what is not operative.

Engine drive belt is all of 5 minutes to replace as all need to do is visualize the routing, or if you still have the belt sticker on the hood, and release the tension on the belt tensioner and pull the old off and do the reverse to put new one back on.

OP
OP
Sclass-hole

Sclass-hole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Beautiful firsrst gen Expy, and customization plans?

No plans yet. I might do some stuff in the Spring. For now, I just want to fix the little issues and get through Winter.

Nice truck....what did you have to give for it....Some one here might have a set of headlight replacements you can buy...welcome to the family....its a nice looking expo!

I traded an old 98 Toyota Camry with tons of miles and $99 for the Expedition.

Well the shocks are easy enough to be done by the basic amateur as long as you have a little time. Less than a 1.5 hrs to replace all 4, simple task, do it yourself and use the labor cost toward your new tires.

The shifter handle with OD can be had at any junk yard and easy to replace. Take the covers off the column and pull shifter pin and unhook the wiring.

I would say the 4x4 issue is either the dash switch or electronic shift actuator at the transfer. Easy check with a multimeter for both. Either way, it is a simple replacement of either one, or save a few bucks and get one from the junkyard also.

The clicking noise you hear in the dash with heat on could be the blower motor, probably has something in it that is caught up when engaged, with rear air off if probably due to less strain demand to supply the rear.

ABS light, you may want to check the ABS sensor on the 8.8 rearend on top of center chunk, the sensor most times get gunked up with crap from the honing ring throwing oil up on the sensor over the years. Alot of times you can cure it by unplugging it, unbolt the sensor bolt, pull it out and clean it up, then reinstall it. Or the speed sensors at each front knuckle may need cleaning or replaced.

The rear wiper may be unplugged or cut or frayed wiring at the tailgate, very common issue. Another fix with a multimeter to identify where and what is not operative.

Engine drive belt is all of 5 minutes to replace as all need to do is visualize the routing, or if you still have the belt sticker on the hood, and release the tension on the belt tensioner and pull the old off and do the reverse to put new one back on.

Thanks for all the info. I'll crawl under it this weekend and check those sensors.