Weird electrical problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordBerp

Reaction score
It started when we first bought the car. At first it was a draining battery every night, I just disconnected the battery every night. Found a .35A drain coming from fuse 15 on the CJB. Everything else worked on the car except the 6 disk changer and the light was on for the air suspension. Then one day we drove it for about 120 miles with a bunch of stops, turning it off and on. Got home and let it sit for 6 hours, went out to start it and nothing, no interior/foot board lights, no ding or dash lights when the key was turned. Nothing, except a clicking noise coming from the battery saver relay. I have noticed the windshield does leak. My first thought, the GEM. Got it pulled and no visible water damage at all. Even without the GEM in still a clicking noise from battery saver relay. Figure water damage in CJB. I got it out, couldn't open it without it sounding like it would break. Ilet it sit in the house for the night. I put it back in the next day and everything was back, wouldn't start still. Had a neighbor with his diesel's 2 batteries jump me. Wouldn't charge or start still, and after 3rd time of trying to start it it went back to clicking noise in battery saver relay.
I thought CJB was bad, got a used one in that had been tested. Same thing, clicking in that relay. The only thing that will make it stop is if I pull the interior light relay or the battery saver relay or if I pull either fuse 14 or 15, and if I turn the headlights on.I've tried pulling every fuse inside engine compartment and cab. I even disconnected every plug under the dash and in it, still clicks.
I found and removed a gps tracker a dealership added and it did the whole I want to run thing again. Tried starting it 3 times, and clicking came back. No lights nothing, again.

OP
OP
LordBerp

LordBerp

Reaction score
Before anyone asks, yes I replaced battery. Before the long drive.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I won't ask if you replaced the battery. But I will ask you something just as important

What year is the expy It is important that you mention the year when it comes to electrical problems due to the many changes Ford makes from one year to another year and even made during model years

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you There are a few of us on the forum that have the ford service manuals on DVD

Another reason I say knowing the year is important is my 1st gen manuals are on TWO different DVDs

You may want to consider making a signature line with that information

How well can you read and understand wiring diagrams?

How are your electrical troubleshooting skills?

Do you have any test meters multi-meter

OP
OP
LordBerp

LordBerp

Reaction score
I can read diagrams very well, I troubleshoot and repair electronics for a living, and yes I have a multimeter that does 10A max.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuse #15 is a feed to the GEM and from the GEM to the Brake Pedal Position Switch

See attached print

Attachments

• 13-09.pdf
    14.5 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
LordBerp

LordBerp

Reaction score
I've noticed that when I push the brake the clicking will stop. But of course no lights.

OP
OP
LordBerp

LordBerp

Reaction score
Do you have a pin out of the GEM? I've been trying to find one. And is that an easy replacement?

OP
OP
LordBerp

LordBerp

Reaction score
Oh yeah, easy replacement. Would that really cause all the problems it's having?