Weird Starting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miles Walcott

Reaction score

So I go to start my truck and it doesn’t. What sounds like is happening is the starter spins and the engine wants to turn over, but it loses its engagement and stops trying to start. I connected my jump box to it and after a few more tries it did run. The moment the car cut off, the issue reoccurred. It’s to the point where if it catches and then uncatches (sorry for the wording) if I leave the key in the starting position the starter will keep going until I let off.

The link is attached to the video I recorded.

It’s weird for me, because I always thought if a starter was bad, it was not doing anything at all.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At that mileage I would bench test the starter & solenoid that is on top of the starter. Sounds like the contact disc inside may have seen better days and the drive gear isn't fully engaging the ring gear.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score

So I go to start my truck and it doesn’t. What sounds like is happening is the starter spins and the engine wants to turn over, but it loses its engagement and stops trying to start. I connected my jump box to it and after a few more tries it did run. The moment the car cut off, the issue reoccurred. It’s to the point where if it catches and then uncatches (sorry for the wording) if I leave the key in the starting position the starter will keep going until I let off.

The link is attached to the video I recorded.

It’s weird for me, because I always thought if a starter was bad, it was not doing anything at all.
Starter isn't fully firing the bendix drive to engage flywheel. You can tear it down and find out why or just replace the starter. Mostly I've seen this when vehicles starter stayed engaged after starting and it somehow fried it.

Personally, I'd just replace the starter especially if you might need the truck soon. (Guess just a sidebar on current events) plus then you could also have confidence that THOSE components wont fail in the near future.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Miles Walcott

Reaction score
Well replaced the starter. It wasn’t as brutal as I thought. But not only did it fix the issue, somehow the power seat started working too. ‍♂️

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
[emoji2935] Nice work. Congratulations!
On both things. I'd say your seat stopped due to a bad ground, that got tightened with what you did. Or a short - but I pray it's not that. Those suck. These are known to rust, so grounds fail...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk