Well, that explains a lot…. Get a carfax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen many full size SUVs used for limousine service with higher mileage in a shorter lifespan than that one. The other day I saw a '13 Tahoe with 352k on it and you couldn't tell other than looking at the odometer. I wouldn't have guessed it had 100k miles on it just by looking at it. It gets to a point where the vehicle has such little residual value that people go to salvage yards and pull an instrument cluster and swap it out. Then it's off to the auction block for some used car dealer to snatch up and flip to an unsuspecting buyer. As long as it's documented on the title as mileage exempt or otherwise unknown, it's legal and up to the buyer to take it or leave it. But I would say that Expy you bought spent most of it's life south of Colorado and their salted roads. I only see surface rust on the frame. Any stickers under the hood from a timing chain job, or any other work ?

Last edited:

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It gets to a point where the vehicle has such little residual value that people go to salvage yards and pull an instrument cluster and swap it out. Then it's off to the auction block for some used car dealer to snatch up and flip to an unsuspecting buyer.

This.

No matter the size, every dealer should provide a CarFax and many do by default. Sometimes you have to ask for one, which is understandable for small shops, as they do cost money.

CarFax is the de facto standard, but AutoCheck from Experian is number two on the list. (Yes, the credit rating bureau) Ask for both or if they only give you one, pay the fee and run a report yourself.

If any dealer or private seller hesitates on providing you a CarFax, refuses to provide the applicable VIN number over phone/email or breaks balls if you take pictures or write down the VIN onsite…walk away. Always cross check to verify the provided VIN matches the car for sale; one could easily provide a clear CarFax from a dummy VIN. Also keep in mind a CarFax is just a .pdf document…it’s incredibly easy to edit, swap numbers around or copy over images from a clean report. (This is avoided by running the report yourself, albeit at your cost)

Never buy sight unseen (not that you did). A FaceTime or video chat tour doesn’t count. In the strange world we live in today plus the wonders of the internet, people order cars from all over and have them delivered like an amazon package. If you can’t touch it and smell it before you buy, it doesn’t exist.

In your situation, you might have a case to bring to your state’s attorney general. Despite Indiana having the exemption law for any vehicle older than MY 2010, there is clear evidence of fraud prior to the exemption window. The law does not mention the exemption statute; it could be argued that the seller knowingly sold you a vehicle with odometer fraud. You’ll need to lawyer up and go through a ton of paperwork; all depends on your appetite. If you want to have some fun, call a local attorney who specializes in lemon laws (assuming it’s a free consultation). That might be a solid case; in your state, odometer fraud is a “Level 6” felony. (Link)

Did the seller provide you with a completed and signed Indiana Odometer Disclosure Statement? Even if it was a private purchase or exempt, it appears that Indiana requires the seller to complete this form (I could be wrong).

Full disclosure, I am not an attorney. However, I am familiar with these types of cases.

Depending on your circumstances, I would highly suggest investigating further. If not only for your right to a fair purchase, but to possibly prevent others from being taken for a ride by the same seller.

I love cars, but I hate the car business.

Last edited:

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
A friend of mine once had a business rebuilding slavage cars, good work and he was completely honest about what he was selling. 1997 Suzuki Sidekick JLX came in with a crushed tailgate, totalled with salvage title. He bought it from the insurance agency fixed it and had his wife drive it for a year before she got hit taking out the passenger side doors. Totalled, he bought it from his insurance company with salvage title! Fixed it again and I bought it! Drove it 2yrs before hitting a deer, once again totalling it! I bought it back from insurance with a salvage title and rebuilt the front end. Sold it to a friend(he knew the whole history and car ran /drove like new) for his kid, WITH A CLEAR CARFAX!!!!!!! Kinda gave up believing in them after that! Funny thing about it is that stupid thing is still putting around!

Aerogt01

Reaction score
A friend of mine once had a business rebuilding slavage cars, good work and he was completely honest about what he was selling. 1997 Suzuki Sidekick JLX came in with a crushed tailgate, totalled with salvage title. He bought it from the insurance agency fixed it and had his wife drive it for a year before she got hit taking out the passenger side doors. Totalled, he bought it from his insurance company with salvage title! Fixed it again and I bought it! Drove it 2yrs before hitting a deer, once again totalling it! I bought it back from insurance with a salvage title and rebuilt the front end. Sold it to a friend(he knew the whole history and car ran /drove like new) for his kid, WITH A CLEAR CARFAX!!!!!!! Kinda gave up believing in them after that! Funny thing about it is that stupid thing is still putting around!
Through a series of government mishandlings (or maybe just one), I have a clean and clear title for my second vehicle that was totaled by a rear-end collision. It's actually my main commuter.

mamores24

Reaction score
Through a series of government mishandlings (or maybe just one), I have a clean and clear title for my second vehicle that was totaled by a rear-end collision. It's actually my main commuter.
Yup. We traded in our 2014 Ford Edge to the dealer when we purchased our Expy this summer. Was curious what they were going to do with it so I monitored their used car sales. Long and behold, they listed for way more we received (no surprise there) and stated it had never been in an accident. It had been once and was reported. We have been fortunate to have always bought new cars but that really knocked our confidence in buying used.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How hard would it be for a seller to find a low mileage instrument cluster at a junk yard or ebay and slap it in?

Or maybe the OP's 2008 has had the VIN changed?

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup. We traded in our 2014 Ford Edge to the dealer when we purchased our Expy this summer. Was curious what they were going to do with it so I monitored their used car sales. Long and behold, they listed for way more we received (no surprise there) and stated it had never been in an accident. It had been once and was reported. We have been fortunate to have always bought new cars but that really knocked our confidence in buying used.
This really ticks me off, shows how common this kind of garbage is.

How hard would it be for a seller to find a low mileage instrument cluster at a junk yard or ebay and slap it in?
Not hard at all.

If it’s an analog style, the rest of the car (i.e. the ECM) has no way of knowing what the odometer actually says. You can also rollback the existing odometer without replacing it. There is a special alignment between the number wheels (think of a checksum) which has to be taken into account.

If it’s digital, you can use an advanced scan tool to change the odometer without replacing the cluster. Newer cars have a log which would note the change, but there is always a way around that.

Or you can just Ferris Bueler it and drive home backwards. (…..the 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California….it is his love, it is his passion…..it is his fault he didn’t lock the garage)

rowekmr

Reaction score
The outside looks clean. How is the interior? I would think with those miles the vehicle would "look" worn out.