What All Does the GEM Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

handyone

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any wet floors. I just bought it a few weeks ago with 179k miles on it. Two weeks ago the passenger front window would not go back up. Finally got time to look into it. I found this link: http://www.justanswer.com/ford/2qq7x-2006-ford-f150-lariat-passenger-window-not-roll-regulator.html . I used jumper wires & ran gnd & 12v directly to the motor & it works fine in each direction. I am getting 12v on each of the red-yellow & yellow-red wires depending on which (up or down) switch is pushed. I am not getting gnd on them both consistently though. I swapped the passenger side switches rear to front, no change. I bought a new master switch for the drivers door. Installed it yesterday (did not help). Now the drivers switch does nothing but the passengers (ft) door switch works. I ran continuity on all the wires to the window switch in the pass. door. I’m thinking maybe an intermittent ground problem related to a relay or the GEM?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the manual for my 99 the GEM is only on the hot side of the switches. The ground your concerned with is at the left front window switch plug - 2 black wires in positions 1 & 2. They ground at G200 located behind passenger kick panel. I'd also look at the connectors in the plug to make sure they haven't opened up a little.

handyone

Reaction score
According to the manual for my 99 the GEM is only on the hot side of the switches. The ground your concerned with is at the left front window switch plug - 2 black wires in positions 1 & 2. They ground at G200 located behind passenger kick panel. I'd also look at the connectors in the plug to make sure they haven't opened up a little.

Great, thanks! That's what I was looking for (a good place to start). I'll tear into it this weekend.

handyone

Reaction score
Well I hate to say anything, but I think I fixed it. I checked all the grounds I could find & they were all tight & good (with meter). While I had both kick panels off I wiggled & pushed all the connectors I could find, one large connector (with maybe 40-50 wires) on the drivers side had a bolt through the middle holding the two halves together loosened it & wiggled the connector apart a little & tightened it up again. I pushed on all the fuses & relays in the fuse panel all windows work fine now. I installed the new master switches on the drivers door since I had it & it seemed to work a bit better than the one that was in it! May have been a loose connection in a connector, this might be why the "door slam" method of fixing the power windows works for some folks! :Big Laugh:

Blackhorse1

Reaction score
I had a leak around my windshield, apparently it was the original, in my 2000 Expy. Had the puddle in the driver's side floor after about 3 days of rain. The radio was going in and out, wipers worked when they wanted to, and my starter was turning without the keys in the ignition. After I replaced the windshield and everything dried out it seems fine. What would explain intermittent door locks and a very weak sounding beeping when I press the key fob to lock and unlock the doors?