What brand of struts ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Summit Racing lists the 4 rancho quicklift 3rd gen coilover part numbers for ELs from 2007 - 2012.... same part numbers as short wheelbase

jdeshong

Reaction score
I went with some Monroe OESpectrum front struts on my 2015 mainly because thats all I could find that would fit other than the factory crap that leaks. They ride the same as stock and seem to absorb speed bumps better.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Avoid Motorcraft like the plague....suggest Bilstein is way better.

I had the rear passenger blow in January 2016. It was covered under the CPO warranty so I let the dealership do it. In January 2017 the rear driver blew. I knew the MCs were crap, but I didn't want non-matching struts so I stuck with MC. Now the rear passenger has blown again, just 29 months after being replaced. This time I am just going to replace both rears with something else (probably Bilstein).

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the rear passenger blow in January 2016. It was covered under the CPO warranty so I let the dealership do it. In January 2017 the rear driver blew. I knew the MCs were crap, but I didn't want non-matching struts so I stuck with MC. Now the rear passenger has blown again, just 29 months after being replaced. This time I am just going to replace both rears with something else (probably Bilstein).

Monroe smooth ride
Ranchos handling

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Monroe smooth ride
Ranchos handling

I had considered Rancho, but when I went to their website it said: "There are no products matching the selection."

I've seen too many complaints about Monroe failures to consider them I think. Also have read they tend to be soft? I don't want it to feel like a buoyant Chevy. ;)

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had considered Rancho, but when I went to their website it said: "There are no products matching the selection."

I've seen too many complaints about Monroe failures to consider them I think. Also have read they tend to be soft? I don't want it to feel like a buoyant Chevy. ;)

My used Gator came with Monroe, at least in back, and it's pretty damn refined for city and interstate use.

More body roll than Ranchos, but rides much smoother

No clue how they would hold up to gravel, dirt, or offroad though

PS i have a sneaking suspicion no one at Rancho bothered testing with ELs, or with Lincoln for that matter, which is the ACTUAL reason they only list Expy SWB... because weight differences aren't THAT big, and similar or bigger differences can be accumulated in options alone (wheel options, 5 vs 8 seats, running boards, 4wd, etc)

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My used Gator came with Monroe, at least in back, and it's pretty damn refined for city and interstate use.

More body roll than Ranchos, but rides much smoother

No clue how they would hold up to gravel, dirt, or offroad though

PS i have a sneaking suspicion no one at Rancho bothered testing with ELs, or with Lincoln for that matter, which is the ACTUAL reason they only list Expy SWB... because weight differences aren't THAT big, and similar or bigger differences can be accumulated in options alone (wheel options, 5 vs 8 seats, running boards, 4wd, etc)

I don't do any real off-roading, but I do a lot of unmaintained dirt/gravel roads, which the crappy Ford struts clearly couldn't handle. I ended up going with the Bilstein 4600s. My main concern is that they will be too firm, but I'd rather that than too soft. After the fact I discovered that Rancho makes an entire assembly (spring + shock) that definitely fits the '11 EL. I had already pulled the trigger on the Bilsteins though so I didn't even bother to research the Ranchos any further.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah when people say Rancho or Monroe, theyre usually referring to the preassembled coilover units (unless indicated otherwise)