What does the 26mm Engine Radiator option mean for 2023 ford expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This 26mm Engine Radiator option comes with the heavy duty tow package on model year 2023 build sheet. Doesn't the model year 2022 expedition have the same size radiator if heavy duty tow package is installed? That's confusing...

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This 26mm Engine Radiator option comes with the heavy duty tow package on model year 2023 build sheet. Doesn't the model year 2022 expedition have the same size radiator if heavy duty tow package is installed? That's confusing...
I'm guessing it's larger but am not 100 percent sure.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just about all the time its a larger rad on the tow package. My 2001 F150 had a larger rad with the package but it was not listed anywhere. Must be a marketing thing.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's larger but am not 100 percent sure.
I believe 26mm radiator going with heave duty tow pkg is large than radiator on a non-heavy-duty-tow expedition. But this option doesn't stand alone on 2022 model year or before. But it becomes a stand-alone option for 2023 model year. I am wondering whether or not this is just a marketing skill of Ford or there is some real change behind it.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just about all the time its a larger rad on the tow package. My 2001 F150 had a larger rad with the package but it was not listed anywhere. Must be a marketing thing.
2022 model year has heavy duty tow package as well, but no where 26mm radiator is mentioned. This is solely for MY2023. Weird.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is weird. One would expect that heavy duty trailer package would have the larger radiator. It’s reasonable that the raptor engine with more horsepower would generate more heat when running hard.
My 18 Limited 4 X 4 came standard with electronic limited slip differential and control trac.
Breaking these things out as separate options covers up price increases!

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some packages like the HO engine in the Stealth and Timberline would most likely have larger rads by default so they may not list it as an option. For example the HO has dual fans on the intercooler and they do not list this anywhere you have to crawl under to look.

rpw2021

Reaction score
Some packages like the HO engine in the Stealth and Timberline would most likely have larger rads by default so they may not list it as an option. For example the HO has dual fans on the intercooler and they do not list this anywhere you have to crawl under to look.

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that in the past it was incorporated in other packages, and that separating it out as a stand-alone option is either (a) a way of extracting more $$ from customers who want that feature, and/or (b) adding flexibility in difficult supply lines - they can still offer the packages even if the bigger radiator is not available.

BrianM

Reaction score
On the Ford Expedition "Build & Price" for 2023, if you select Heavy Duty Tow Package, the standalone 26mm Radiator shows up as "included." If you de-select the tow package and then select the 26mm radiator, it indicates that you also have to add the HD Tow Package to get it. That's for the Limited and XLT trims, I didn't try if for any others. I have no idea why they would list it as standalone if it's not. Definitely confusing.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the Ford Expedition "Build & Price" for 2023, if you select Heavy Duty Tow Package, the standalone 26mm Radiator shows up as "included." If you de-select the tow package and then select the 26mm radiator, it indicates that you also have to add the HD Tow Package to get it. That's for the Limited and XLT trims, I didn't try if for any others. I have no idea why they would list it as standalone if it's not. Definitely confusing.
Just guessing here, but they may allow it as a standalone option for police or fire department orders…