Ford got rid of radiator upgrade option from HD Trailer Tow Package since model year 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Radiator upgrade option had existed in Tow package (536) for 2018 to 2021 model year. Starting from year 2022, it disappeared. And Ford misleadingly adds a "26mm radiator" option on their Build & Price portal, going with the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package. It just means standard duty radiator. Thankfully, Ford still keeps the upgraded rear axle option in the Tow package.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Radiator upgrade option had existed in Tow package (536) for 2018 to 2021 model year. Starting from year 2022, it disappeared. And Ford misleadingly adds a "26mm radiator" option on their Build & Price portal, going with the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package. It just means standard duty radiator. Thankfully, Ford still keeps the upgraded rear axle option in the Tow package.

The Ford part’s catalog for the 2022 Ford Expedition shows two radiator applications:

ML3Z8005A - standard duty.
ML3Z8005B - heavy duty.

Are you sure of your information?

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford part’s catalog for the 2022 Ford Expedition shows two radiator applications:

ML3Z8005A - standard duty.
ML3Z8005B - heavy duty.

Are you sure of your information?

I ordered Tow package but I got the standard duty radiator.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 1.png
    1.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2021 Ford Expedition Trailer Towing Selector vs. 2022 Ford Expedition Trailer Towing Selector

Attachments

• 2021.png
    2021.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2022.png
    2022.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is another possibility that Ford may only throw heavy duty radiator on models with high out engine (440hp). But for regular 380hp ecoboost (or even the 400hp engine), it definitely goes with the standard duty radiator no matter whether it has Tow package or not.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford saved $32.26 per each, according to Lakeland Ford online parts store.

2022 order guide provided by forum member smstroben.

Attachments

• 2022 order guide.png
    2022 order guide.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 2024 order guide.png
    2024 order guide.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 19

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is another possibility that Ford may only throw heavy duty radiator on models with high out engine (440hp). But for regular 380hp ecoboost (or even the 400hp engine), it definitely goes with the standard duty radiator no matter whether it has Tow package or not.

Interesting.

When I ordered my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - the HD towing package was standard and included the HD radiator (and other features).

One would think that the HD towing package would include all upgrades, whether a standard package inclusion (as mine was with the Limited) - or as a standalone option?

I’ve always wondered what a Ford truck (with or without a towing package) would not just have the HD radiator standard across the line?

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting.

When I ordered my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - the HD towing package was standard and included the HD radiator (and other features).

One would think that the HD towing package would include all upgrades, whether a standard package inclusion (as mine was with the Limited) - or as a standalone option?

I’ve always wondered what a Ford truck (with or without a towing package) would not just have the HD radiator standard across the line?

My assumption is, after Ford secretly upgraded 2022 Expedition's coolant thermostat spec from whatever to 195F, their engineers also figured heavy duty radiator is not necessary for regular engine anymore. Just wondering if the same scenario applies to F150.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting.

The vast majority of people with half tons don't tow. And of the small percentage that do, they don't tow enough to need the upgraded radiator. It seems like a silly thing, but for Ford they're always looking for ways to reduce costs to stay competitive with the competition on price. One of the ways they do that is by decontenting vehicles to reduce the advertised starting price. Ford will nickel and dime on everything, which is how you end up with important upgrades that cost $1,000 on a $70,000 vehicle. Porsche and Audi also employ this strategy. Before 2018, HD Tow upgrades were standard on all Limited and higher trims. I guess the marketing people got in the mix and decided that they could earn some extra margin by making it optional for those that really wanted it. Ford sold something like 40K Expedition through Q2 of 2023, that's up to 40M in revenue for the HD Tow upgrade for the first half of the year. It doesn't sound like much for a company this size, but there's a reason they employ bean counters.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vast majority of people with half tons don't tow. And of the small percentage that do, they don't tow enough to need the upgraded radiator. It seems like a silly thing, but for Ford they're always looking for ways to reduce costs to stay competitive with the competition on price. One of the ways they do that is by decontenting vehicles to reduce the advertised starting price. Ford will nickel and dime on everything, which is how you end up with important upgrades that cost $1,000 on a $70,000 vehicle. Porsche and Audi also employ this strategy. Before 2018, HD Tow upgrades were standard on all Limited and higher trims. I guess the marketing people got in the mix and decided that they could earn some extra margin by making it optional for those that really wanted it. Ford sold something like 40K Expedition through Q2 of 2023, that's up to 40M in revenue for the HD Tow upgrade for the first half of the year. It doesn't sound like much for a company this size, but there's a reason they employ bean counters.
Spot on, also about perspective, having a vehicle start 1k less is more important for attracting customers. Especially when the overwhelming majority of them never tow anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett