Ford got rid of radiator upgrade option from HD Trailer Tow Package since model year 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spot on, also about perspective, having a vehicle start 1k less is more important for attracting customers. Especially when the overwhelming majority of them never tow anything.

You’re right about never towing, in my case.

I bought my Expedition with the HD tow package although I did not intend to tow or haul heavy cargo (and I never have). It has been used strictly for passenger use.

For years, I have often ordered vehicles and always specified upgraded or HD parts or packages (radiator, cooling, battery, suspension, etc.) with the thought the components will last longer and provide better service.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, of the '26mm radiator' is an option, I would have thought that was equivalent to the 'heavy duty' if there are 2 part numbers for radiators. Just different terminology? Or or we supposed to infer that not selecting the HD tow, the radiator is the same as without? Or, are there actually 3 radiators: standard, 26mm (whatever that means) and Heavy duty?

1705449602070.png

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, of the '26mm radiator' is an option, I would have thought that was equivalent to the 'heavy duty' if there are 2 part numbers for radiators. Just different terminology? Or or we supposed to infer that not selecting the HD tow, the radiator is the same as without? Or, are there actually 3 radiators: standard, 26mm (whatever that means) and Heavy duty?

View attachment 79878

I am 100% certain that 26mm just means standard duty radiator, nothing else.

KC7HP

Reaction score
The vast majority of people with half tons don't tow. And of the small percentage that do, they don't tow enough to need the upgraded radiator. It seems like a silly thing, but for Ford they're always looking for ways to reduce costs to stay competitive with the competition on price. One of the ways they do that is by decontenting vehicles to reduce the advertised starting price. Ford will nickel and dime on everything, which is how you end up with important upgrades that cost $1,000 on a $70,000 vehicle. Porsche and Audi also employ this strategy. Before 2018, HD Tow upgrades were standard on all Limited and higher trims. I guess the marketing people got in the mix and decided that they could earn some extra margin by making it optional for those that really wanted it. Ford sold something like 40K Expedition through Q2 of 2023, that's up to 40M in revenue for the HD Tow upgrade for the first half of the year. It doesn't sound like much for a company this size, but there's a reason they employ bean counters.
Note that Ford will provide a tow rating for each configuration, based on testing that includes not overheating (and with the lowest cost radiator).
I'm getting confused on this thread: is the contention that in 2022 the HD tow package @ 9800 lb tow rating is being met with the standard radiator, or that before 2022, non-HD-package (tow rating below 9800 lb) Expeditions were getting a HD radiator?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Note that Ford will provide a tow rating for each configuration, based on testing that includes not overheating (and with the lowest cost radiator).
I'm getting confused on this thread: is the contention that in 2022 the HD tow package @ 9800 lb tow rating is being met with the standard radiator, or that before 2022, non-HD-package (tow rating below 9800 lb) Expeditions were getting a HD radiator?
If you look at the Expedition brochures prior to 2022, they included an upgraded, "heavy-duty" radiator as part of the HD tow package. As of 2022, the "heavy-duty" radiator language is no longer present under the description of the HD Tow package. Not sure what that means for the actual radiator part, but Ford itself is no longer describing the radiator as being "heavy-duty." So the question is whether the 26mm described in the configurator is a standard radiator as distinguished from the "heavy-duty" radiator previously included as part of the upgraded towing package.

Samantha1

Reaction score
RockAuto lists two different Motorcraft radiator P/N's for 2023 - a standard duty and a heavy duty that is with the heavy duty towing package (a $55 increase from the standard radiator).
Samantha

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See, and I read this quite differently, the HD two package was an option to begin with. Now I haven't tried to configure one so I don't know if it is or isn't the case but I don't believe it's at all a matter of reducing the entrance cost of a vehicle for "competitive" purposes at all. If it's an option, then it was by nature designed for those that were willing to pay for the upgraded radiator. My take is by reducing yet another large, heavy, hard to store/stock/ship part, Ford is reducing their costs, but I almost guarantee they didn't really reduce the cost of the HD Tow Package. In fact, I just pulled out my window sticker from my 2019 with HD tow and the add on was $795. It's now $995, so you're getting a weaker radiator that might not handle the vigor, and/or may fail faster, and your paying $200 more. one could argue at say 25% inflation maybe... more if you include the loss of the radiator?

Bottom line IMHO, to maintain profitability and makeup for 5 figure losses in say the EV portion of the business, as well as pay 20% pay increases for workers (when many folks are lucky to get say 2-3% right now if any), you're going to continue to get less for more, it's simple math. It's like them removing the multi-color LED's in the ambient lighting, that may save $10 per vehicle when all said and done, but it's, as you said, the bean counters.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
RockAuto lists two different Motorcraft radiator P/N's for 2023 - a standard duty and a heavy duty that is with the heavy duty towing package (a $55 increase from the standard radiator).
Samantha
Because it probably still fits just fine, from previous years, Ford just won't sell it to you.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you look at the Expedition brochures prior to 2022, they included an upgraded, "heavy-duty" radiator as part of the HD tow package. As of 2022, the "heavy-duty" radiator language is no longer present under the description of the HD Tow package. Not sure what that means for the actual radiator part, but Ford itself is no longer describing the radiator as being "heavy-duty." So the question is whether the 26mm described in the configurator is a standard radiator as distinguished from the "heavy-duty" radiator previously included as part of the upgraded towing package.

I ordered HD tow package, thus 26mm radiator, on my 2024 vehicle. And the build sheet clearly states it gets a standard duty radiator.

smstroben

Reaction score
Samantha
The Timberline is advertised as having a "Heavy Duty" Radiator.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett