What Have You Done to Your 4th Gen This Week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you guys or your wife’s do to be able to pay cash for a $80K vehicle? I need a better job. [emoji53]

WE (as in my wife & I) work our ***** off, we save money and if we cant pay for it in cash - we dont buy it....same goes for our credit cards - we dont carry balances (and we dont over spend).

you dont have to be rich to OWN your vehicle.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Paying it off up front means you lose the 3-10% a year in interest on those funds.

It’s not big money but technically speaking you should always take a 0% loan and max out the term. Pay it off in its entirety before trading in.

Emotionally speaking I always get antsy and end up paying it off in one lump sum by the end of the second year. Just hate having debt.

& @shane_th_ee
So many factors have to go correct for a long time (7years) to make this pay off. This is a hard sell on a depreciating asset at the moment given the market just shat the bed and millions lost their jobs, this after the market was on a tear as if it took steroids with ******. And this assumes you keep it until it’s payed off. The way I look at it, if you have to finance for 7 years your buying a vehicle you can’t afford. The ability to consume has become the metric we measure a strong economy with and it’s the exact opposite way it should be measured.

Last edited:

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even if I have the cash, I will always opt for 0%. I mean why not borrow there money, pay it back at no cost, and build your credit rating. Of course you have to have good credit to qualify for the 0% in the 1st place.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
& @shane_th_ee
So many factors have to go correct for a long time (7years) to make this pay off.

You simply throw the total amount of the vehicle into a CD and you’re golden.

All the has to go right is that your CD’s continue to return more than 0%.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You simply throw the total amount of the vehicle into a CD and you’re golden.

All the has to go right is that your CD’s continue to return more than 0%.
To each their own, for sure. There is no 100% one size fits all answer on this.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
& @shane_th_ee
So many factors have to go correct for a long time (7years) to make this pay off. This is a hard sell on a depreciating asset at the moment given the market just shat the bed and millions lost their jobs, this after the market was on a tear as if it took steroids with ******. And this assumes you keep it until it’s payed off. The way I look at it, if you have to finance for 7 years your buying a vehicle you can’t afford. The ability to consume has become the metric we measure a strong economy with and it’s the exact opposite way it should be measured.

The point is if you have the cash you are better investing it and taking out the zero % loan. If you take your $80k and buy the vehicle in cash you automatically lose the 1%-7% return you would have gotten on that $80k had you invested it. Even if you want to "play it safe" by making sure that investment is extremely safe and highly liquid so you could immediately pay off the vehicle should you suddenly have the need to, you're only lowering your return. You're not eliminating it and any return is going to be greater than the zero return you get from just buying the vehicle outright.

This all assumes you have the cash to buy the vehicle outright to begin with.