What Have You Done to Your 4th Gen This Week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Off road/work guy...
Like I said before, I don't have my amateur license yet and I mostly listen but when I'm at work they use "professional" bands and the entire crew is on walkie it is really handy. Especially when doing car to car filming.

Here is a review...

Ok, just ordered one. I have an idea to mount it in a pelican box I can mount to my roof rack. Make a quick connect power plug from my new accessory power block and mag or permanent mount antenna. I wouldn’t have to run any wires into the cab. Vent the box from the bottom and put frog skin on it to let it breath and stay water resistant. Then I could easily transfer it to different vehicles if I wanted to. Sweet find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Clu-

Reaction score
This week I replaced my headlamps. No not the headlight bulbs, the entire headlamp assembly.
My lenses were shattered so I needed to replace them.

To pull your headlights out however, you must first remove your grill, and to remove your grill, you must first remove your .... bumper. Yes that’s right, in order to swap out my headlamps I had to remove what felt like the entire front end of my Expy!
I miss the good old days when swapping bulbs was as simple as reaching down and popping the cap off or pulling a headlight was all of 2 bolts and a good tug.

There are 3 bolts connecting the bumper corners to the front fenders, you’ve gotta go in behind your fender liner (which is straight up sound deadening carpet btw) undo those 3 bolts, do the same for the other side, give it a little pull and all the plastic guide pegs should pop out, disconnect your fogs and PDC coupler and that’s it. But unfortunately getting inside the fender lining to undo those first 3 bolts is deeply frustrating. Pull the bumper and that will expose 3 bolts across the bottom of the grill, undo them along with the 6 or so holding it in at the top and out it comes. Then your headlamps will only have 2 bolts remaining, one obvious one at the top and a second down low at the side. Bish bash bosh. Out come the headlamps. Wild.

B900DE8F-03E9-4B35-97C4-4B38EFCC30E2.jpeg

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't mount the radio itself on the roof. You should treat it like an amp, it creates heat and can be quite a bit if Tx'ing a lot. The good news is 40-50w is way more than you will need so L/M power is all you should need for car to car. Its nice to know you have to option should you need it. It also needs to be able to breathe. There is a fan on the back.

This is the antenna I went with... Super lopro, can disconnect/uncscrew when not in use and it is triband so if I get another radio down the line I'm set. Reviews look good and I watched a few minutes of the designer explaining it and it sounds pretty revolutionary. Might be blowing smoke but I don't need crazy range 95% of the time. Just came in today. :happy107: Out in the desert you might want something more aggressive/tall.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts...iPC1WdrYokVeNS4W9lE52gjE5FizE9xhoCjQcQAvD_BwE

20200605_224717-01.jpeg

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@-Clu-
Wow, I bet that was an unexpected project that sprang out of nowhere. Thank you for the heads up! That is ridiculous...

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't mount the radio itself on the roof. You should treat it like an amp, it creates heat and can be quite a bit if Tx'ing a lot. The good news is 40-50w is way more than you will need so L/M power is all you should need for car to car. Its nice to know you have to option should you need it. It also needs to be able to breathe. There is a fan on the back.

View attachment 36446

I’m going to try it on the roof. I ordered the Bluetooth mic, just Incase the car set up is lame. The frog skinz will let it breath and be pretty waterproof. I have several spring loaded off road tuned antennas. Rhino Rack makes a folding antenna mount that fits in my rails. I ordered one for my lighted whip. Need another or use the mag base. We do talk a lot when we caravan and at the dunes it would be the SxS’s radio. If it gets hot I could add a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Clu-

Reaction score
@-Clu-
Wow, I bet that was an unexpected project that sprang out of nowhere. Thank you for the heads up! That is ridiculous...

Yeah man, I just wanted new headlights! Hey it’s cool to know what all is now involved, it’ll be far easier going forward to know what to do if I need to get back there. Just crazy that you have to pull so much off. I figured that the forum might appreciate it as we all know there’s simply no aftermarket support or content on the 4th Gens yet and I had to call Fords body shop for 3 days before someone would actually pick up and confirm that I need to pull the bumper off. Hope it helps someone else!

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score