What is the best year Expedition to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
"Catch-can koolaid" has joined "Air filter koolaid": Sell folks $500 worth of metal that does a $5 job.

I just looked at $500 "catch cans" that are nothing more than a really fancy coffee can with a foot of fuel hose. Billet aluminum, of course.

Ford spent a billion bucks developing their motors but were too dumb to think of this.

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Catch-can koolaid" has joined "Air filter koolaid": Sell folks $500 worth of metal that does a $5 job.

I just looked at $500 "catch cans" that are nothing more than a really fancy coffee can with a foot of fuel hose. Billet aluminum, of course.

Ford spent a billion bucks developing their motors but were too dumb to think of this.
I thought I’d drink the Koolaid so my engine didn’t have to drink the oil. Koolaid also tastes a lot better.:party52:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think there's a point to that. I've seen what EGR valves alone do to a motor. But I wouldn't go for the $600; maybe about fifty bucks for a can and some hoses.

JLT is $150, all brackets, hoses and connectors included. Takes about 20 minutes to install. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think there's a point to that. I've seen what EGR valves alone do to a motor. But I wouldn't go for the $600; maybe about fifty bucks for a can and some hoses.
Yeah some are pricey. I think I paid around $350.00 per kit for mine because I bought 2 at the same time (one for me and one for my cousin’s F150) from Team RXP and they gave me a break. I watched the video that Ford Tech Makuloco made where he promoted the Team RXP kit for various reasons and I was sold on it. I was in the market for one and I have really enjoyed and respected the knowledge that Makuloco shares from his experiences and trust his judgment on this subject. So for me it was a no brainer to purchase the Team RXP can. Yeah maybe it’s a bit overkill? But then again maybe it’s not. I paid more than $350.00 for the Ruby Red Metallic option that’s on the sticker price which I think was upwards of $500.00. To me the catch can is more justified than the up charge for the paint color but the wife loves the red. I’m sure you know the rest “happy wife happy life”!

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d say the 4th gens are improved in so many ways over the 2017s that they’re worth it. 10 speed transmission, aluminum body that won’t rust, better fuel economy, it’s a long list

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hated the handling of the 2017 Limited I test drove. I tried on some curvy roads. The suspension was really soft. I felt I had to slow down to stay in the lane around a curve. It was almost like you could feel the body tilt towards the outside of the curve, if that makes sense. I don't know if this was Ford's attempt at making the suspension more car-like or not.

After the test drive I recreated the test drive on the same road/same speeds with my 2003. It was smoother and handled the curves so much better. I even went a little faster around a few curves to try that out. So in my opinion, a 16 year truck with 140k on original shocks handled much better than a 2 year old Expedition. I have a 32ft 7000 lb. camper, so a truck suspension is what I'm looking for.

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer my 2014 El king ranch. Last of the v-8s and ford had worked a bunch of issues out by this time. I love mine and definitely would NOT trade to an ecoboost. I’ve driven several and I don’t like the engine or body style. Seems like the expedition was moving toward an AWD minivan by then and I like having a truck.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer my 2014 El king ranch. Last of the v-8s and ford had worked a bunch of issues out by this time. I love mine and definitely would NOT trade to an ecoboost. I’ve driven several and I don’t like the engine or body style. Seems like the expedition was moving toward an AWD minivan by then and I like having a truck.

Other than 2 less cylinders, what didn't you like about it? Too much power? You realize the 15-17's with the 1st gen 3.5 are 3rd gen and mostly the same underneath as your 2014 right?

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had 2 V-10 Excursions, and now no trailer, so I needed to downsize. I got the 2012 Expedition LTD and there's no looking back. I should have had an Expedition EL to tow our 6000 lbs trailer when we were out more. The V-10 was a bit much! This LTD is fully loaded, and great to drive. I feel like I'm driving a Bronco, the wheelbase is so short. The only drag is Sync1. It 's not reliable in USB as it keeps switching to Line In and staying. I have tried to run the update but it's not seeing the files on the USB drive. I thought I'd run it by Galpin and ask about the update. Tke premium stereo is fine, if a little underpowered so I'd just as soon leave it alone.