What is the best year Expedition to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Yesterday I met up w a buddy who loves his 2018 F150. Beautiful. Battleship Grey. 3in lift. Gorgeous.

I’m parked next to him so I told him bet my truck quieter than his.

When he started his truck it had a windup toy tin rattle for 2-3 seconds. Then it sounded like my high school girlfriends Ford Fiesta.

I love Fords but after reading about the underbody rusting problems w 2021 F150’s, not the aluminum can, the steel frame and hardware, I just don’t trust them to buy anything newish.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fordau...are-already-facing-rust-corrosion-issues/amp/

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread and learning a lot. Feeling better about the potential 2014 in my future.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not just because i have one, but of the latest generation, I'd pick the 2019 version--electronic gremlins and all. In subsequent model years Ford has been deleting what formerly were standard items and packaging them into costlier add-ons. Examples: CCD & electronic locking rear differential...now you have to buy them a la carte. The 360 co-pilot wasn't available until 2020 and that was a "free" improvement I'd have liked on mine.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Usage: I like pick up trucks, but feel the enclosed back is nicer - so that's why i'm going bigger to the Expedition. I'm also 6'3" so a little extra room will be nice. I've always said everything lasts longer if you maintain them. My gut is to find my best deal from a private party - so i can look the person in the eye and talk about the truck, and any issues. Go for lower mileage so i can start a good maintenance schedule ... cross my fingers and hope for the best. Thanks for everyone's input!!!

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a new '17 in '18 because I didn't want to get the first year of a new generation. I'm happy with that choice.

However, I see that people are recommending a "catch can". I remember reading something about that, but, bottom line- what is a catch can and do I really need one?

My '17 has about 34,000 miles on it.

Thanks

Wahoogator

Reaction score
I had the 1st 2007 Limited EL delivered to NE Florida and drove it hard towing boats and equipment for almost 150k miles. Upgraded to a 2016 Ecoboost Limited EL and driving it the same for 55K miles now . All i've done is change the oil and air up the tires... Knock on wood...

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Brother has 2018 F150 Platinum. 85,000 needs a phaser etc job. Has that diesel sound.

BTW... it has the 5.0.

Conrad Penner

Reaction score
I bought a new '17 in '18 because I didn't want to get the first year of a new generation. I'm happy with that choice.

However, I see that people are recommending a "catch can". I remember reading something about that, but, bottom line- what is a catch can and do I really need one?

My '17 has about 34,000 miles on it.

Thanks
Haviland, Check out Team RXP http://teamrxp.com/. You will learn all you need to on their site for catch cans. There are some good videos on Youtube as well

wingrider

Reaction score
If you tow- the last year of the HD tow with the rear leveling suspension.

I just can't get my head around giving up how well my '12 tows to get a new one and have to try and not even replicate the towing functionality with having to add / install Sumo parts. Thumbs down.

Last edited: