What is the max towing recommended?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2003 Ex has a towing capacity of 8650... We are looking at buying a TT with a unloaded weight of about 6000 and a GVWR of 7200 approx. I do have a prodigy brake controller and plan on getting a Reese WDH or an Equal-i-zer. Thoughts? We won't be pulling in the mountains at all. Would like some feedback. I have read many places try to keep it to 80% of the tow vehicle range. I know this setup is a little over, but will never tow with full tanks. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a rebuilt trans and run synthetic fluid in it and plan on getting an external trans cooler for it in addition to the one built in the trans. Also LT rated tires. My door sticker does say 8650 and not 7200 like alot of them...

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Along with a WDDH consider sway control. Check the attached links for some good information. The figures that you posted appear to be within specs, but still get to the CAT scales for a better idea of all of your weights.
What is your towing experience and also the length of the TT you are buying.
You may also want to check out some of the RV forums for advice and information on towing.
I assume that you going to LT rated tires is for the weight ratings but what is more important is the weight rating of the rear axel. That information should be on the door sticker.

How to Weigh Your TV/TT - Jayco RV Owners Forum

Length to weight - Jayco RV Owners Forum

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We used to have a shorter TT when I had my 97 expedition. Also, I have towed an enclosed car trailer with our 57 Chevy in it and it pulled great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger