What is the purpose of the flip-up tailgate window?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought the flip up window was dumb until we took our first trip, now I use it all the time. Often I use it to put things in the rear instead of opening the lift gate. It’s a lot faster and less wear on a expensive moving part. Sure, it’s not huge but it’s big enough for me to find functional and convenient.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I use mine constantly. Especially handy when we are loaded up for a trip with either the bikes or my son's wheelchair carrier on the hitch.
It's a little tall for some folks I assume, I know my wife struggles but still uses it.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my case it helps when I buy groceries. When I get home, if I open the back, usually something will fall out on the ground. But if I open the glass first, I can either retrieve some things or push them back so that when I open the back, they won't fall out.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use mine all the time. Unfortunately, this thing is so tall, it's pretty hard to reach anything unless it's pretty packed. My '11 Grand Cherokee had a functional liftglass but the removed it in '12. For me, I've used liftglass vehicles for 20+ years, said I wouldn't buy a new one after they removed that.

As for not driving with it open, I've done it hundreds of times in the past, never had issues on any vehicle, so I think as long as you use common sense, you'll be fine. Keeping speeds down and if you're going over bumpy stuff, tie it down a little so it doesn't bounce a ton. Either that or maybe they were trying to save some weight and it is super weak.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I primarily use it to ensure nothing is going to fall out when I open the tailgate, since Ford in all of their infinite wisdom didn't provide a simple means to prevent that. Last month I also used it to fit something in my truck that would not have fit otherwise without disassembly.

Paul M

Reaction score
I keep micro fiber dying towels in the cargo area and after I pulled them out of the dryer last night I needed to put them back in the Expy. So my options are to either open the garage door to open the lift gate or simply pop the window. One example, but I use it all the time. I'm 6'3" so it works easier for me than the 5'5" wife...