What is the purpose of the flip-up tailgate window?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May have been mentioned, sorry I'm not reading 4 pages, it Allows packing the vehicle full. Load the luggage, rifle cases, and the coolers last. Close the tailgate then open the window. There now is an easy 12" gap for beach chairs bottles boots pillows all the odd stuff. Now nothing moves while driving. Arrive at destination be sure to open glass first or the bottles fall out and break. Hmmmm

Bfountain52

Reaction score
I put longer items like 12’ lengths of wood trim and tie down the window for a short trip from HD, it can cause a draft inside of tailpipe exhaust... not good.
Other than that mostly it’s convenient to put a couple smaller items in and out quickly.

66nova

Reaction score
Please forward that info to Toyota before they get someone killed.

And make that Ford too, as you can run the Expedition with the rear window WIDE open. So there's that too.

I'd also recommend you read the entire 30 year old article, and note the rarity of these incidents even at the time of publish, as well as the age and type of vehicles it is occurring in (30++ years ago).

Legit questions. With the power up and down in the toyota, does it have rear defrost? Also, can it be opened from the outside without the vehicle on?

I see the benefits in both the flip up and power down. I like the quickness and ease of access of the flip up.

Last edited:

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Legit question. With the power up and down in the toyota, does it have rear defrost?

I see the benefits in both the flip up and power down. I like the quickness and ease of access of the flip up.

Mine is a 2010, has defrost, and the struts hold it open while driving back from HD. I would assume the 4th gen is the same. Ford cant legally say leave it open

66nova

Reaction score
I use my rear window pretty much daily. My 18 max will fit in the garage and I back it in, but I cannot open the tailgate. I can open the rear window open. I load my 4 kids back packs in the rear window without having to pull out (I have 4 kids, obviously that's a problem for me)

66nova

Reaction score
Mine is a 2010, has defrost, and the struts hold it open while driving back from HD. I would assume the 4th gen is the same

On my 18 max that's how it works also. I was referring to the toyota being mentioned with the power up/down window.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I frequently open the window when arriving home from the grocery store to make sure when I open the hatch, groceries will not fall out the back due to groceries shifting on the way home.

aFORDable

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the use case for the flip-up rear window on the tailgate?

I had assumed that maybe it was for carrying really long items, but then I read that driving with it open can damage the glass or hinges.

And it can’t really be used for ventilation since it doesn’t roll down.

So what is the purpose? Do others find it useful?

Thanks!

aFORDable

Reaction score
This was in place for the soccer moms stack items when the back seats are used can spill items on the floor when you open the whole hatchback open. Using the flip - up rear window makes it easy to reach inside to add or remove items will not spill over. Hope this helps.