What is the purpose of the flip-up tailgate window?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is why the Gen 4’s don’t have the venting rear windows. Your list is spot on. I would just add quick access to the cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was unaware the gen 4 doesn’t have this option available. The 3rd gen had fixed windows standard but Eddie Bauer and Limited models had optional electric side vent windows. I’ve never had exhaust enter the cab, and unless in a closed space where any window will allow gases in they are too high to allow carbon monoxide in since CO sits low. It was likely a cost savings deletion. I’m pretty sure the new Transits have this option available.

Last edited:

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the use case for the flip-up rear window on the tailgate? I had assumed that maybe it was for carrying really long items, but then I read that driving with it open can damage the glass or hinges. And it can’t really be used for ventilation since it doesn’t roll down. So what is the purpose? Do others find it useful? Thanks!

Do Not Run Down My Flip Up Rear Window!!! it is a lifesaver. Heathen!

your post gives the impression you have never loaded anything into the back of your truck... since obviously you've never had stuff fall out when you open the hatch.
the flip up window is a grocery lifesaver!!!!

now you know.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they don’t do this because an open lift gate window may increase the risk of carbon monoxide getting into a vehicle.

The reason is b/c Ford saves money, complexity and weight by not having this feature--even if they were to "say" that. And, rarely utilized... but if it was an option, I'd get it.

Toyotas (and others) have had power rear glass for years and still do.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1) putting/getting things in/out in a tight spot (car right at your bumper, low overhead ceiling etc)
2) The dog is in back and will make a run for it if I open up the gate
3) Throwing in something small
4) coming/going on a trip and back is completely filled to the gils and opening the entire gate would cause a crap-a-lanche

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason is b/c Ford saves money, complexity and weight by not having this feature--even if they were to "say" that. And, rarely utilized... but if it was an option, I'd get it.

Toyotas (and others) have had power rear glass for years and still do.

With the information below, I still stand behind that CO is a valid reason for Ford not offering the power lift gate window.

Quote from CDC website: “Any moving vehicle with a vertical rear tailgate or door (e.g., a station wagon or pickup truck with a camper shell cover) creates negative air pressure behind it. Because of this vacuum, opening the rear window of a camper or station wagon can result in high concentrations of exhaust fumes entering the vehicle. Holes in the body of the vehicle or leaks around windows or doors may also allow fumes to enter the passenger compartment.”

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001926.htm

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the information below, I still stand behind that CO is a valid reason for Ford not offering the power lift gate window.

Quote from CDC website: “Any moving vehicle with a vertical rear tailgate or door (e.g., a station wagon or pickup truck with a camper shell cover) creates negative air pressure behind it. Because of this vacuum, opening the rear window of a camper or station wagon can result in high concentrations of exhaust fumes entering the vehicle. Holes in the body of the vehicle or leaks around windows or doors may also allow fumes to enter the passenger compartment.”

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001926.htm

No doubt. It’s the exact reason why the rear gate is completely covered in dust after even a quick ride down a dirt road in the summer. I have a feeling that cracking the front windows would negate the effect of exhaust being sucked in but they don’t want that liability I’m betting.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please forward that info to Toyota before they get someone killed.

And make that Ford too, as you can run the Expedition with the rear window WIDE open. So there's that too.

I'd also recommend you read the entire 30 year old article, and note the rarity of these incidents even at the time of publish, as well as the age and type of vehicles it is occurring in (30++ years ago).

Last edited:

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find the lift glass super useful. Trailer on. Trailer off. Just many times it’s the best option.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, never used it in maybe 20 years (well, maybe once when hauling some 10’ lumber).

but, you know it’s there if you need it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65