What is the purpose of the flip-up tailgate window?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
In my case it helps when I buy groceries. When I get home, if I open the back, usually something will fall out on the ground. But if I open the glass first, I can either retrieve some things or push them back so that when I open the back, they won't fall out.

One good brake check before you pull in the driveway will fix that!! :D

I use mine all the time. Unfortunately, this thing is so tall, it's pretty hard to reach anything unless it's pretty packed.

The Gen4 is definitely a higher opening than the Gen3. I'm 6-1 and I find myself leaning against the back to reach in the window and down. This of course gets your shirt dirty from the dust that accumulates on the back of the Exped.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use mine as the escape hatch it was meant to be when zombies, or "mostly peaceful" protesters surround the car; so i can surround them with my weapons (which I since all lost in a boating accident).

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
I use mine as the escape hatch it was meant to be when zombies, or "mostly peaceful" protesters surround the car; so i can surround them with my weapons (which I since all lost in a boating accident).

You too? lost mine overboard 15 miles out in 800 ft of water...

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You too? lost mine overboard 15 miles out in 800 ft of water...

you should edit your post to something along the lines of "... a couple hundred miles west of LA... maybe NW... or NE... or just generally south..."
don't want to give ATF nazis any more of a head start than they're getting from the NSA tap on your GPS.

just sayin' ...

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good Golly! One of our FAVORITE features. We use it consistently, for reasons mentioned previously, and also for backing in the boat when one of us is in the boat. Visual + oral communication enhancer!!
We previously had a 2003 EB 5.4. When we picked up our 2018 we spent over an hour during a road trip trying to find the switch for the rear quarter flip out windows. Owners manual and Bing were not helpful! When we got home a quick inspection revealed the awful truth. Dang. We miss our flip open windows, but WOW what an improvement over the 2003. Also, we frequently exercise the rear flip up glass by hitting the switch for it when we want to open the tailgate instead.. LOL

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used it all the time when camping while using my previous vehicle (Honda Pilot).

I would probably use it more, but I installed the rear dash cam and the wiring is too short to allow it to open. I will re-route the wire at some point, but for now I have been okay with not being able to open it.

I see the benefit for what others have mentioned above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use mine all the time. Mostly when the bike rack is on the back and I don't want to fold it down to open the whole hatch and just need to toss in a helmet or camelbak. I also use it after I have loaded the back full of "stuff" and then need to get one or two more pillows or blankets in that someone forgot to load. I like having it. An electric up and down window wouldn't be anywhere near as fast to toss things in but I can see how it would be nice.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had little use for it currently, as it is not designed to be open when moving, unless lashed to whatever is sticking out the back. That being said--I would never just want a completely sealed window/hatch. You never know (as the above poster stated)

As a list of the many things Ford should do for the Expy, an electric window that goes up and down should seem to be one of them.

As an aside, a LC rear opens up like a clam (don't know the proper name for that) and you can sit on the tailgate, properly.

YMMV.

there several things on the truck that many of us dont see the use for...so becuz ur unhappy that it's not functional to ur life then it's useless to the world? that's how u come off with this response...most ppl that buy SUVs never take it offroad or any other terrain but the concrete or asphalt...my cargo is filled with amps and subs...never pulled more than a 6x12 uhaul trailer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker