What is your average MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5.4 3v 170000 miles 140 miles wind was strong head on. Stock. 18.25 mpg hand calculated.

Kurtyg2020

Reaction score
2015 Expedition XLT 4WD
3.5 Ecoboost V6
no mods, no trailering

I've recorded every gallon of gas put into the vehicle since new using the Fuelly (aCar) app.

As of last fill-up, 64,111 miles, 3707.23 gallons, 17.3 mpg. MPG on individual fill-ups has ranged between 14.8 and 22.1.

2016 Expedition Limited 4WD
3.5 Ecoboost V6
No Mods
No Trailering

I have also recorded every gallon of gas put into the vehicle from day 1, 47,160 miles, 2,988.13 gallons, 15.78 mpg. Same gas station 80% of the time, when the pump shuts off, I never put anymore gas into vehicle.

Lowest MPG tank - 8.2 MPG - Driving 80 into a 30 mph wind with a cargo carrier on top of the car
Highest MPG tank - 18.6 MPG

I thought the mpg's would be higher, but I think it has something to do with my right foot. I came from a 2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4, lifetime average was 17.5, and I didn't drive it like I do the expedition. The ecoboost is fun to drive, the low end torque is great.
My commute to work is 16 miles on two lane highway, no stoplights, set cruise on 62. I live in Illinois so mostly flat ground. I will have had this vehicle two years 2 year at the end of October, vehicle has less than 12,000 miles when I bought it. So vehicle has just over 60,000 miles on it now.
Back in June I recorded the computer mpg, the time the vehicle ran, gallons pumped, and miles driven on a tank a gas. The computer average was overstating the hand calculated mpg by 5%, (Interesting to note, the only time the computer and hand calculated where less than 1% apart was when I filled up with gas with not ethanol in it, instead of the usually E-10 or E-15) the engine ran an average of 8:45 Mins for an average speed of 38 mph. During that time, my average mpg was 17.06.
Overall the drive train has been great, i wish the rest of the vehicle as the same.

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2013 4x4 Tow Pkge & Rear Air Ride: 13.5mpg Average overall around town, on& off freeway short distances.

x46415

Reaction score
Model : 2016 Expedition 2WD

Engine : EcoBoost 3.5L

Mileage : 80,000

Current average MPG : 17.1 zero towing, city/hwy mix

Mods : None

Recent maintenance : Synthetic engine oil (5W30) and new air filter.

To do : Spark plugs.

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, this is really interesting. We are definitely seeing some different MPGs reported from both the 5.4L and 3.5L Ecoboost owners.

All things being equal, I personally suspect that the Achilles' heel of the later models is the non-replaceable in-tank fuel filter. I've had significant mileage and engine idle improvements on my previous cars / trucks whenever an old fuel filter was replaced with a new one.

The newer Expeditions no longer have this part serviceable, which is beyond stupid... you can only change it when your fuel pump clogs up and dies, essentially.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Model : 2003 Expedition EB w/ 3.73

Engine : 5.4L 2V

Mileage : 210,500

Current average MPG : 13.1

Mods : None

Recent maintenance : Synthetic 5w30, Air filter, fuel filter

To do : None.

I purchased this about 6 months ago and it was very well maintained and runs smoother than all but one other vehicle I've ever owned but that one had 1/4 the mileage.

I fill up at the same station, generally the same pump, at usually even close to the same time of day. Theres a shell directly across from my work, quite convenient. My real calculated mileage is usually within .2mpg of what the info center displays. Info center is always higher. I've put approx 5k on it since purchase and just changed the oil. No change so far.

Our expy sees about 90% city with hwy usually no more than 10min or so at a time so not much to skew info, the getting on and up to speed probably burns as much fuel as cruising saves for the short run. It gets driven a very predictable route almost weekly, not much variance in our schedule and I typically never get stuck in traffic just due to the times I work and when we generally do things.

It gets what I expected, not unhappy. Higher mpg would always be great but 4spd and 3 tons can only do so much w the 3.73's. My worst has been about 11 with extended idling and best of 16 and change.

Small update, recently switched locations for work and have been driving the expedition a bit while I get my new daily ready to rack up the miles instead. I got a hand calculated 16.6mpg on the last tank. Same station and pump ran to its shutoff both times. Polar opposite of prior driving. It is about an 85% interstate with about 5mi on a state hwy afterward, random stoplights but I dont drive at very busy times. That's cruise set on about 68 and me driving solo w the ac on.

FWIW the on board said I was at 16.8 so its holding pretty stead at a .1-.2mpg difference. That's absurdly accurate...never had another vehicle that did that. They've always been off by several percent.