What is your average MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe the computer mpg calcs. If I do it with math I get different answers.

math = mpg at fill up minus mpg at last fill up divided by gallons required to fill the tank. The computer usually shows a couple more mpg than I get with math.

I just did a trip to WV and back. 16.2 mpg mountains and all. I can get 17 mpg when I drive in the flat lands and 16 mpg if I fill up in the mountains, drive in the mountains and then fill up before I do much driving on the flatter roads. Four adults, back full of clothes/stuff up there and back with some driving Saturday and Sunday visiting relatives.

2014 EL Limited, 5.4 V8, automatic, 3.73 gears, 4WD.

I try to drive the speed limit and use cruise control as much as possible on the interstate.

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2008, 5.4L, 135,000 miles, regular oil changes and 6 month old Michelin LTX/ MS 2 - 12.6 MPH. My mechanic told me a new CAT back exhaust would improve on that. Especially while towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies, keep em coming please!

So far, it looks like my MPG sucks some major balls... despite driving it quite conservatively, mostly on the highway / high speed roads with few stops. The truck is smooth though with a good feel to it, but the indicated average MPG is horrendous. In Hummer H2 territory, lol!

When I bought the truck and drove it home a month ago, the onboard confuzer was saying 10.2 MPG average! Only noticed it when I got home... then it very slightly "improved" and now it's stuck at 12.4 :eek:

Funny thing is, the engine idles at a steady 500 RPM when truck is stopped and when I'm driving at 60 mph, the RPMs are in the 1500-1600 range. By definition, it should be getting good gas mileage. I am at a loss...

Plati

Reaction score
Measure it manually like MrCoupe said, but I advise at least 3 fillups to get a more accurate reading. The pumps have a variation in when they shut off. If you do multiple tanks you don't even have to fill every time just the first and last. Just set the trip meter and keep track if total gallons.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Model : 2003 Expedition EB w/ 3.73

Engine : 5.4L 2V

Mileage : 210,500

Current average MPG : 13.1

Mods : None

Recent maintenance : Synthetic 5w30, Air filter, fuel filter

To do : None.

I purchased this about 6 months ago and it was very well maintained and runs smoother than all but one other vehicle I've ever owned but that one had 1/4 the mileage.

I fill up at the same station, generally the same pump, at usually even close to the same time of day. Theres a shell directly across from my work, quite convenient. My real calculated mileage is usually within .2mpg of what the info center displays. Info center is always higher. I've put approx 5k on it since purchase and just changed the oil. No change so far.

Our expy sees about 90% city with hwy usually no more than 10min or so at a time so not much to skew info, the getting on and up to speed probably burns as much fuel as cruising saves for the short run. It gets driven a very predictable route almost weekly, not much variance in our schedule and I typically never get stuck in traffic just due to the times I work and when we generally do things.

It gets what I expected, not unhappy. Higher mpg would always be great but 4spd and 3 tons can only do so much w the 3.73's. My worst has been about 11 with extended idling and best of 16 and change.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies, keep em coming please!

So far, it looks like my MPG sucks some major balls... despite driving it quite conservatively, mostly on the highway / high speed roads with few stops. The truck is smooth though with a good feel to it, but the indicated average MPG is horrendous. In Hummer H2 territory, lol!

When I bought the truck and drove it home a month ago, the onboard confuzer was saying 10.2 MPG average! Only noticed it when I got home... then it very slightly "improved" and now it's stuck at 12.4 :eek:

Funny thing is, the engine idles at a steady 500 RPM when truck is stopped and when I'm driving at 60 mph, the RPMs are in the 1500-1600 range. By definition, it should be getting good gas mileage. I am at a loss...

Clean your throttle body (on both sides)

John650

Reaction score
2012 Navigator L 5.4L. Average MPG is 13.5. This is for the 6k miles of mixed of city/highway driving I have put on the vehicle since I got it back in February. Calculated with Fuelly app and matches on board computer. Low was 10.47 High 15.26

This is a 33% increase in MPG from my old Durango.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did about 120 miles with 7 people in the car and got about 21 MPG. I even hinted at 22 a few times driving gently. Now that I'm back to suburban driving, its nose diving down to around 15 mpg. Stop and Go gets me.

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Measure it manually like MrCoupe said, but I advise at least 3 fillups to get a more accurate reading. The pumps have a variation in when they shut off. If you do multiple tanks you don't even have to fill every time just the first and last. Just set the trip meter and keep track if total gallons.

That's what I'll have to do. I'm putting in some Champion iridium spark plugs probably this week and also having the original alternator rebuilt. I'm wondering if it will help.

A throttle body clean on both sides might be next. Too bad we can no longer change the fuel filter on these newer 3rd generations...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire