What tires look good on the Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i put NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLERS on my 2016 Expedition. very poor choice. i thought that because of their super aggressive tread they would be good in snow - not true. they were expensive, noisy, rough ride, bad dry pavement handling, hurt my fuel economy and to top it off, they were terrible in snow. i sold them and replaced them with Michelin Defenders. ride & handling is much better AND they are great in the snow. turns out for snow, the more biting edges you have the better. tires with large chunky blocks on the tread have fewer biting edges, therefore less traction. the rubber compound on the Ridge Grappler is also extremely hard which further hurts snow traction. if you plan to go rock crawling in your Jeep Wrangler, the ridge grappler is probably a great tire but general use in a snowy climate like Minnesota, not so much. Have had the Terra Grapplers before and they were great. the ridge grapplers LOOKED super bad-ass but just not well suited to what is essentially a luxury SUV. i went up two tires sizes on my 2008 Suburban and put on Bridgestone All Terrains and Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks which are pretty aggressive and i thought they were great but i think the ridge grapplers were just too much. the michelins look like pretty ho-hum street tires but performance wise are far better overall.

Bfountain52

Reaction score
I have a set of General Grabbers that need replacing. It caused me a few embarrassing moments in the middle of the snow storm here. Expedition is more of a passenger vehicle than an offroader so I suspect chunky tires won't look good on it. At the same time, I don't want to go with street tires either. Need pretty good snow traction. I was looking at the Goodyear Wranglers. It does have a rather aggressive thread but not too much. So what is the middle ground?

Bfountain52

Reaction score
I have a set of General Grabbers that need replacing. It caused me a few embarrassing moments in the middle of the snow storm here. Expedition is more of a passenger vehicle than an offroader so I suspect chunky tires won't look good on it. At the same time, I don't want to go with street tires either. Need pretty good snow traction. I was looking at the Goodyear Wranglers. It does have a rather aggressive thread but not too much. So what is the middle ground?

Bfountain52

Reaction score
I trailer a 21’ CC... the Grabbers came with the vehicle, and were fine when the vehicle was unloaded with 4 passengers but with the boat in tow, passengers and equipment onboard the the Grabbers felt mushy.... a new set of Michelin’s made it all go away.