What to do with rusty oem step up bars??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey guys,
have a real simple question... My 2000 expy has those metal OEM step up bars and they are rusting... not to mention the plastic hook thingys on the ends are falling off.
What do you guys do with the step up bars? resurface or replace ?
or even better...

where can I get a replacement set new or used step up bars that have that OEM grey finish to them??

thanks

baldamish

Reaction score
I have the exact Expy and had that exact problem. My intentions were to sand it down and coat it with bedliner. I took them off to do it right and decided to leave them off, it looks more like a truck and gave the appearance of a small lift! But, if I were to put them back on, I'll coat them with bedliner.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can resurface, replace, or take them off...up to you...go to junkyard and ebay for nurf bars...junkyard will be the cheapest

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Junk yards are a good place to get them cheap. But I personally like the lighted black plastic step plates that ore OEM, they came both ways, and the plastic ones will avoid future rusting and look better than the oval tubular ones in my opinion. The lights are plug and play as your truck has the pigtail there just not being used.

smokinbk

Reaction score
They also protect the rocker panels from rust. I would put these on.