What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tacoduck

Reaction score
My 2016 the paint is failing on the roof. Wish I’d checked the roof before purchase.

Ferry Princess

Reaction score
My 2007 has presented the following "learning opportunities":
PCM crapped out - towing TT - ruined vacation
Coil pack caput - towing TT - ruined another vacation
Fan blower motor resistor toast
Passenger window regulator fried
Central locking doesnt work from inside vehicle

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m a former owner (Gen 2), and miss it for some reason, so looking at a Gen 3. This one’s a 2011 with 115k miles. I remember issues from my old one, and remember some of the concerns about the early Gen 3s, so here are some of my concerns, if you could give me some input:

It looks like it has the rusted rockers (they couldn’t figure this out in 8 years?). I can’t remember if there are any reasonable fixes for this (slip-on covers,etc.)?

Is the 3V in 2011 less susceptible to the cam phaser failure issue?

Is the coolant tube that runs under the intake (or did in the Gen 2) still susceptible to springing a leak? I remember the whole intake well full of coolant.

My radiator supports on the ‘04 were almost completely gone. Is this something that continued to plague later models?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!! I’m kinda anxious to get back to the Expedition family!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The rockers are a problem with all the years. The inside rocker panels have huge holes in them that are covered with tape from the factory. Once the tape's gone they collect salt and mud. Patch panels are available but the right repair will set you back at least $1500, often more.

The cam phaser / chain tensioner problem seems to be hit or miss. My 08 has been problem free with 150.000 miles. My 2010 V8 Explorer needed a timing job at 120,000 miles. Maybe a 50-50 chance?

Never had a problem with my 08's coolant tube, and the radiator supports are free of rust though my rocker panels were toast. Just did lower ball joints.

Look the frame over by the motor mounts. I'm starting to get some bad corrosion there, but it will probably never be a problem. Also check the body mounts.

Otherwise, if my '08 is any indication, they are pretty hardy trucks. My experience is that they remain trouble free up to about 150K, after that, expect some repairs with 210 - 240K being the time when I expect to get rid of them.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a screenshot of JD Powers average price paid for a car such as my wife's which is a 2013 King Ranch 4-wheel drive with just over 55,000 miles in perfect condition. The price you are being asked to pay for that expedition is probably double what it is worth, maybe more than double.
Screenshot_20231109_085033_Chrome.jpg