Whats the best paint sealant?

Discussion in '4th Gen - 2018 - present' started by Deadman, Nov 10, 2019 at 6:55 PM.

1. Deadman

Deadman Full Access Members

I'm looking online at all the ceramic coatings and such, and gosh every company makes their own fake reviews, so I don't know what to believe.

Anyone have any suggestions on a very durable coating like a ceramic?

Thanks

2. Artie

Artie Full Access Members

I have gtechniq crystal serum ultra and have been extremely pleased with it. It wasn’t cheap... 2-3k and each year when I have a major detail he does another coat but that’s included in the cost of the $300 detail. He did the wheels and windows as well as everything else and it makes a major difference when washing the vehicle and during rain I daily need the windshield wipers. The water beading is out of this world, I believe it’s actually hydrophobic but don’t quote me on that. All in all we feel it was worth the cost because we plan on keeping this rig 8 years minimum.

3. Edistobob

Edistobob Full Access Members

I wanted something I could do myself, not spend a fortune on, and that was OK to let cure outside rather than inside a garage as many of the really top-line coatings require. I treated ours with Gyeon Can Coat at $55, plus their Gyeon Prep ($17). I coated the vehicle right after I bought it and the coating was still amazing one year later when I gave it another coat. I've never used anything before that even comes close to the performance. After one year the beading and resistance to bugs, etc. was still amazing. Just to keep the coating in absolutely top shape I also wash the vehicle a few times a year with the booster wash formula, Gyeon Bathe+ ($22), although it is not really necessary. Between those washes I usually use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. I am not recommending Gyeon for any particular reason other than that was what I picked after reading a number of reviews. My biggest requirement was ease of application and the Can Coat fit the bill. There are now other reasonably decent coatings that are even easier, but not as durable. For example, take a look at Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (G190526) that is usually available at WalMart and auto parts stores. It really leaves a pretty durable coating with very little effort. I used it on our Airstream trailer and could not be more pleased, given the ease of use balanced against durability. I have noticed similar other products appearing on the market as well; I think there is one from Griot's Garage now too.

4. AAOO

AAOO Full Access Members

I run my through the Brillo Pad car wash 3-4 times a week. I plan on donating it to make a wish or cars for kids in 8 years so what does it matter?

Rancidlunchmeat and Artie like this.
  5. Deadman

I'm hoping to do this myself...

Thanks for input so far!

6. WJD_xlt

WJD_xlt Full Access Members

I’ll get better photos in the morning, but on all my cars I’ve done the following:

Powerlock, then a layer of collinite 845 and topped with Bead Maker.

8E076388-A8DB-4F4E-B530-CA739613DFEC.jpeg

1369EDB4-D4E2-4C05-B11D-61BDE540E7CE.jpeg

7. Deadman

That looks real nice!

8. WJD_xlt

WJD_xlt Full Access Members

Thank you. I posted a couple photos in other threads here, but I’ll be honest I’m a bit lazy to search at the moment :)

9. stricnine

stricnine Full Access Members

I use Chemical Guys Extreme Top Coat Sealant & Wax. Love the results, $11.36 for a year supply. lol

AE31A27B-B2BD-4FAA-8CC4-4EAFD978C541.png

10. carymccarr

carymccarr Full Access Members

+1 on gtechniq