What's the Limiting Factor???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Folks...

So after trying to figure this out on my own, I finally did a google search for Ford Expedition Forum and came across this great site, read a few others, but this one seemed the best, and already read a bunch about towing with an Expedition... So here goes my question, sorry if it gets a bit long...

OK, so I'm familiar with towing and currently tow a 21' camper with my explorer. Keeping the Explorer, but also looking at an Expedition, trading in the 2011 Taurus... Can you tell I like Fords???

Anyway, so I have 3 young kids, 3, 5 & 7 - reason for an SUV instead of a truck. We also want to upgrade our camper. The camper we like is 35' long from hitch to bumper, has a dry tounge weight of 720 lbs and a dry weight of right about 7000 lbs, but a gross weight of 8300 lbs. So I'm sure loaded and such I will still be within my weight ranges, depending and here's where I'm running into issues... First off, does this seem reasonable to tow with an Expedition. Not full time, maybe 6 times a year, most trips no longer then 3 hours, most an hour or so, but may take a longer trip here and there.

I will be using a weight distribution anti sway hitch... Reese Straightline System...

So I'm obviously looking for an Expedition with the HD tow package and the 3:73 gears. I'm seeing various stuff about the payload capacity though and this is what I'm concerned about. I see specs for this as high as 1800 lbs, but when looking at Expeditions, I'm seeing less then 1500. So trailer, lets say 900 lb tounge weight - that is only leaving 600 lbs for the wife, kids, dog and gear. I think I will be very close or even over this 1500 lb limit. So how important is this? What is the limiting factor here and what do I need to look for, for an expedition with an 1700 or 1800 lb payload capacity? Do the wheels have anything to do with this? 20" vs 18"?

We really like the EL version for the extra space, but my thoughts are the extra space and length is also using extra weight, dipping into this payload capacity. So is the 12" extra wheel base WAY better for towing or will I be OK with the regular size Expedition, with a higher payload and higher towing capacity, it will also fit in my garage easier as well... :)

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!! The VIN checker I found on another thread on this site will be a HUGE help... I asked 1 dealer about the gear ratio and they sent me back the gear ratio of the transmission and each gear. Another dealer told me it had the towing package, but I just needed to add the 7 pin connector. Another dealer told me 3:73 gears get better gas milage then 3:31's, but the 3:31's can tow more... ERRRRRR!!!!

Thanks...

LJ

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, come on... I need answers!!! :)

No, I bumped it because I forgot to include notification on my original post and couldn't edit it for that... Here I thought you had something for me... :)

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would pose the same question on the escapee forums...
My guess would be you really want a diesel excursion.

brockncole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think you would need to stay in the 7000 total gross range. I have a 30' TT and I am in that 7000 range and it is ok I would like an EL just to have the extra wheelbase on the windy days. I have an '03 and it does really well other than in the wind, but not sure that anything would do any better. The fuel milage is absolutly terrible, our vacation was a 3 1/2 hr. trip and I was in the combined MPG for the trip at around 9. I would say any more weight and length would be too much. Just my thoughts.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would be pushing high limit of the transmission at that kind of pay load. The tranny is rated for around 10k. At that kind of loading i have no idea how hot the tranny will get even with a cooler. If you want to tow that much the expedition is gonna get dragged down like crazy. You would be better off throwing a supercharger on it otherwise its gonna take forever to get up to speed and you will be downshifting all the time. I have towed up to 7000 lbs and it worked pretty well but thats also including payload. MPG is not really a factor you can care about when buying an expy. They all get decent economy for a truck but you have to remember, you are driving a truck, not a car. Buy the truck with the towing package. It will have the optimal gear ratio and should have the 4 pin and 9 pin connector built in. If it doesnt it prob doesnt have a towing package so be sure to check on that.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kinda need to know what exactly you're looking at. Being in Berks, I'm assuming 4x4 so you give up some in capacity right there. If you go EL, you give up some more. Ford and the bean counters have been messing with the tow ratings from year to year.
As far as gearing...the EL comes with the 3.73 and IMO the better choice in towing gear. The regular wheel base Expy comes with the 3.31 and the 3.73 can be optioned in when choosing the HD tow package option. That option also gives you the 7 pin and all the goodies. And contrary to what the dealer said about mpg, the 3.31s are the mpg leader not the 3.73s.
As frame of reference, my 08 is optioned out with the HD/3.73 and my rating is 9100. Even in that configuration, I'd be leery of putting something that big behind me. There would not be a lot of wiggle room with a TT of that size. Can it do it, probably...but you run the risk of beating the crap out of the tranny. Panic stop...tail is gonna wag the dog.
Give us some more specs of what you're looking at and we'll try to give you a better answer. And say hello to all of my friends and family in Reading!!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
In general, here is a list of the limiting factors for towing. (in general order)

Transmission cooling
Engine cooling
Braking
Rear suspension load
Drivetrain load
Tow bar limitations
Engine limitations

As you tow heavier and heavier, this is the order that things go wrong.

This assumes a weight distributing hitch, like the op said he was using. With a regular hitch, rear suspension moves up to #2(ish) on the list.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would pose the same question on the escapee forums...
My guess would be you really want a diesel excursion.

See, that's the thing. If you look at especially the diesel excursion, the payload capacity is only at 1500ish lbs as well, so you need to put heavier springs on it. Not sure I want to deal with this or a used excursion, however this is an option (maybe)

I would think you would need to stay in the 7000 total gross range. I have a 30' TT and I am in that 7000 range and it is ok I would like an EL just to have the extra wheelbase on the windy days. I have an '03 and it does really well other than in the wind, but not sure that anything would do any better. The fuel milage is absolutly terrible, our vacation was a 3 1/2 hr. trip and I was in the combined MPG for the trip at around 9. I would say any more weight and length would be too much. Just my thoughts.

We are looking at the oldest being an 07, but would rather have something newer...

You would be pushing high limit of the transmission at that kind of pay load. The tranny is rated for around 10k. At that kind of loading i have no idea how hot the tranny will get even with a cooler. If you want to tow that much the expedition is gonna get dragged down like crazy. You would be better off throwing a supercharger on it otherwise its gonna take forever to get up to speed and you will be downshifting all the time. I have towed up to 7000 lbs and it worked pretty well but thats also including payload. MPG is not really a factor you can care about when buying an expy. They all get decent economy for a truck but you have to remember, you are driving a truck, not a car. Buy the truck with the towing package. It will have the optimal gear ratio and should have the 4 pin and 9 pin connector built in. If it doesnt it prob doesnt have a towing package so be sure to check on that.

Thanks...

Kinda need to know what exactly you're looking at. Being in Berks, I'm assuming 4x4 so you give up some in capacity right there. If you go EL, you give up some more. Ford and the bean counters have been messing with the tow ratings from year to year.
As far as gearing...the EL comes with the 3.73 and IMO the better choice in towing gear. The regular wheel base Expy comes with the 3.31 and the 3.73 can be optioned in when choosing the HD tow package option. That option also gives you the 7 pin and all the goodies. And contrary to what the dealer said about mpg, the 3.31s are the mpg leader not the 3.73s.
As frame of reference, my 08 is optioned out with the HD/3.73 and my rating is 9100. Even in that configuration, I'd be leery of putting something that big behind me. There would not be a lot of wiggle room with a TT of that size. Can it do it, probably...but you run the risk of beating the crap out of the tranny. Panic stop...tail is gonna wag the dog.
Give us some more specs of what you're looking at and we'll try to give you a better answer. And say hello to all of my friends and family in Reading!!

Yeah, I told the dealer he had that backwards... Basically looking at a newer Expedition with the HD towing package with the 3:73 gears.

In general, here is a list of the limiting factors for towing. (in general order)

Transmission cooling
Engine cooling
Braking
Rear suspension load
Drivetrain load
Tow bar limitations
Engine limitations

As you tow heavier and heavier, this is the order that things go wrong.

This assumes a weight distributing hitch, like the op said he was using. With a regular hitch, rear suspension moves up to #2(ish) on the list.

So here's the thing. Even the 3/4 ton suburban only has about a 2000 lb payload capacity, not mure more then the expedition, especially one that has an 1800 lb payload capacity... As I said, even the excursion only has a 1500-1600 lbs payload capacity, so should I really be concerned about this number? What makes one expedtion with the HD tow package have say a 1600 lb payload capacity and another, same configuration with a 1500 or 1700 payload capacity?

Thanks for all the replies...