What's the Limiting Factor???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So also, I'm curious as to thoughts concerning a truck and even an F150 - the payload capacity is similiar and maybe even less then the expedition, but as far as wheelbase is concerned and size, a F150 or F250 even has the same size give or take as an expedition, so what differs there? Obviously the F250 has stiffer suspension...

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So also, I'm curious as to thoughts concerning a truck and even an F150 - the payload capacity is similiar and maybe even less then the expedition, but as far as wheelbase is concerned and size, a F150 or F250 even has the same size give or take as an expedition, so what differs there? Obviously the F250 has stiffer suspension...

Gotta remember that the truck platform utilizes the leaf springs out back where the Expy is using IRS. Put some weight on the Ex and there is more squat side to side with the weight bring supported by coils. On the truck, leafs and solid axel supports the weight. Now to cloud the waters further, you can get an Ex with an optional rear leveling air suspension to help in the towing duties.
As far as payload capacities across the Ex line, mid 1500's to low 1600 is the best you're gonna get. 2 adults and 3 kiddos and gear and you should be fine, there's wiggle room there.
For what you are considering with the TT, the EL with rear air leveling and HD tow is the animal....good luck finding one. Still gonna max it out though

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kinda need to know what exactly you're looking at. Being in Berks, I'm assuming 4x4 so you give up some in capacity right there. If you go EL, you give up some more. Ford and the bean counters have been messing with the tow ratings from year to year.
As far as gearing...the EL comes with the 3.73 and IMO the better choice in towing gear. The regular wheel base Expy comes with the 3.31 and the 3.73 can be optioned in when choosing the HD tow package option. That option also gives you the 7 pin and all the goodies. And contrary to what the dealer said about mpg, the 3.31s are the mpg leader not the 3.73s.
As frame of reference, my 08 is optioned out with the HD/3.73 and my rating is 9100. Even in that configuration, I'd be leery of putting something that big behind me. There would not be a lot of wiggle room with a TT of that size. Can it do it, probably...but you run the risk of beating the crap out of the tranny. Panic stop...tail is gonna wag the dog.
Give us some more specs of what you're looking at and we'll try to give you a better answer. And say hello to all of my friends and family in Reading!!

Dib52, I noticed this too about the towing capacities varying from year to year but was wondering where you came up with 9100lbs ? I too have an 08 4x4 w/ HD pkg and everything I've seen it's 9000lbs with no difference in capacity between 3:31's and 3:73's. Going to an EL 4x4 cuts the weight down to 8750.
What's interesting is for some reason the 2011 Expys have the weight down to 8900 for standard length and 8700 for EL, again with no difference in gearing. Then for 2012 and 2013 the go back up to 9000 and 8700.

Either way according to the charts I've seen the MAX GCWR is 15000 ( vehicle, trailer, cargo and people )

Matt

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care what specs you were reading about excursions.I personally know of excursions with well in excess of 2k lbs in them plus people and it did just fine. Ford has tendency of under rating their super duty line trucks and that is what an excursion is. Plus the chassis is built on a larger f250 platform and you would get better mileage with the diesel. I love my expedition but I think you would be better off in an excursion.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII Using Tapatalk2

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dib52, I noticed this too about the towing capacities varying from year to year but was wondering where you came up with 9100lbs ? I too have an 08 4x4 w/ HD pkg and everything I've seen it's 9000lbs with no difference in capacity between 3:31's and 3:73's. Going to an EL 4x4 cuts the weight down to 8750.
What's interesting is for some reason the 2011 Expys have the weight down to 8900 for standard length and 8700 for EL, again with no difference in gearing. Then for 2012 and 2013 the go back up to 9000 and 8700.

Either way according to the charts I've seen the MAX GCWR is 15000 ( vehicle, trailer, cargo and people )

Matt

Oops, miss quoted...just went out and checked it...9000 lbs by the book. A little more reading a couple pages forward it mentions 9100 w/WD hitch. And the EL gets 8700. Regardless, 15000 GCWR across all platforms. The bean counters are at it again for the differences between model years.

Last edited:

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my pic its my blue expy but the other expy is the 4x4 EL towing package with rear air suspension and it tows the hell out of anything. We also run a sway bar and LDH which has always kept the trailer on its wheels even when the trailer has blown a tire. A diesel truck however will better handle the load you specd out. You can never have too much truck. You could however get an expy and get a smaller trailer. Our trailer is 25 ft with a 5 ft hard slide in the rear(keep it clean) and we fit 7(4 adults, one teen, and two babies) no problem. Our trailer also has like a decent kitchen and a shower. Just a thought. Dont buy a featherlight though, the chassis on those bend like no other due to poor engineering and lots of unsafe weight reduction.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies folks... Still not sure what I want to do... The problem with an Excursion is just the age of them and they are tough to find... A truck, as much as I would love one, doesn't seem practicle for us... That's the thing too, do I want a 3/4 ton truck or SUV to go camping maybe 6 times a year? Besides camping this will be used by the wife to get groceries or vacations/trips without the camper... Hmmmmm...

brockncole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I miss my Pick-up but love the Expy. It only made sense for us to get rid of my truck since it was the oldest vehicle. There are a lot of good campers out there take you time and find one that fits the tow vehicle and your needs.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, the one that fits are needs and wants is the one I mentioned... I went camping as a kid in a truck camper and van and even a popup and tent a few times. Now that I'm the Dad and taking time off work to go camping, I want to be able to relax as well and not be cramped in a camper with the wife, 3 kids and a dog... Guess we'll be looking or considering some Excursions... I really wish Ford would make the Expedition just a bit heavier or put, or make an option for the solid rear axle... I was talking to my buddy last night about this and he said the same thing...