Wheel Hub won't budge!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DKH2Hrnt

Reaction score
The wheel bearing is needing replacement for my rear driver's side. I removed the caliper, rotor, axle nut and the 4 bolts holding the hub assembly. Am I missing any other parts that could possibly be holding the hub in place? I have soaked it in pb blaster, used a pry bar and a slide hammer with no success. Any tips?

sbar09

Reaction score
Sounds like you already know they rust on pretty well. When I pulled mine I took a putty knife and tapped it with a hammer all the way around. To remove I had to tap each side with a big ass screw driver in order for 20 min. This job just takes determination and some strength.

But if you want to do it the right way/easy way, rent or buy a hub puller from your local auto parts place. Takes no time, 3 bolts and a ratchet.

OP
OP
DKH2Hrnt

DKH2Hrnt

Reaction score
On the hub pullers, what is the bolt that you tighten down pushing against? Wouldn't it just push the axle out of the back?

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your axle moving freely inside the hub? Mine was stuck terribly. Had to use a puller to push the axle out of the hub. Took lots of force and made awful noises.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DFendersExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OH THE HUB NIGHTMARE... I worked on both rears a total of 8 hours to get them replaced. The rust build up was unreal... using the hub puller and someone on the inside hitting with a small sledge hammer with a long ratchet extension . hit each corner should loosen it up at the same time using the hub puller.. Good luck

DFendersExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh don't forget to torque the 4 bolts to the hub to the right specs. You would hate for those to become loose

jdecker

Reaction score
I've never had the assembly stuck, but I did manage to break three hub pullers, including my brother in laws "unbreakable" puller that he guaranteed to pull anything, trying to get the axle out.
Ended up pulling the whole knuckle and axle and taking it to the machine shop, who had to destroy the axle to get it out - good times!
Did the other side recently, was geared up with a huge puller and huger hammer, took out all the bolts and axle nut and it just fell off.

OP
OP
DKH2Hrnt

DKH2Hrnt

Reaction score
Is your axle moving freely inside the hub? Mine was stuck terribly. Had to use a puller to push the axle out of the hub. Took lots of force and made awful noises.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My axle is moving freely. The hub is just seized to the knuckle. I saw one video where you remove a wheel stud, stick a long bolt through the hole to push against the knuckle, with a large nut on the back side of the stud hole, then continually tighten it down to separate it. I might give that a try.

sbar09

Reaction score
if all else fails....air tools haha. Nothing an air chisel wont fix. Also if it gets real bad, and you have free cash. torch, sawzall, new wheel knuckle, hub, bearing, the whole bit. had to do that to my buddy's f150. about $300 later it was all good.