Motorcraft vs. other wheel hub bearing assys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobward757

Reaction score
Good evening,
In my experience, I’m getting about 60K out of my stock Motorcraft hub bearings before they need to be replaced.

Is 60K good? Any “absolutely better for the money” hub assemblies out there?

TIA, Bob

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I generally use the warranty as a proxy for quality, but I've never had to replace the same wheel bearing twice in any vehicle and all my cars went over 200,000 miles. My Expedition front bearings had over 140,000 miles on them when I replaced them. I still haven't replaced the rears and I have over 15,000 miles towing. Are you on stock wheels and ride height? That 60,000 miles rating seems really low. You can browse aftermarket bearings and warranties on Rock Auto.

OP
OP
B

bobward757

Reaction score
I generally use the warranty as a proxy for quality, but I've never had to replace the same wheel bearing twice in any vehicle and all my cars went over 200,000 miles. My Expedition front bearings had over 140,000 miles on them when I replaced them. I still haven't replaced the rears and I have over 15,000 miles towing. Are you on stock wheels and ride height? That 60,000 miles rating seems really low. You can browse aftermarket bearings and warranties on Rock Auto.
Thanks Jason, these were warrantee Motorcraft have assemblies and the warranty is good for two years so I’m just surprised as well that all four have been replaced each time about 60,000 miles

It’s a stock expedition everything is factory and I do about 2000 miles of towing a year. Now that I am out of the warranty at 140,000 miles I’m just seeing if anything out there lasts longer that I can still get a two year warranty on.

Thanks again

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the Mevotech brand from Rockauto when I replaced my front bearings. They were warrantied for five years. I did some research into the vendor before purchase and most had positive comments. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

bobward757

Reaction score
Thank you so much that’s exactly the kind of information I was hoping for five years would be awesome on this next round of bearings

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have already replaced both from wheel bearings at 30k because they went bad. Replaced with motorcraft again and hopefully they last longer this time.

I would also like to hear about "better" alternatives.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
I just had my fronts swapped under warranty. Driver @40k , passenger @50k. At the time, I looked into Moog, HD and also timken, not much info in Expeditions. (These are a little more popular in the Jeep parts bin). I will look I to mevotech. Thx for the recommendation.

Speed 330

Reaction score
Thanks Jason, these were warrantee Motorcraft have assemblies and the warranty is good for two years so I’m just surprised as well that all four have been replaced each time about 60,000 miles

It’s a stock expedition everything is factory and I do about 2000 miles of towing a year. Now that I am out of the warranty at 140,000 miles I’m just seeing if anything out there lasts longer that I can still get a two year warranty on.

Thanks again
Stick with the Motorcraft I got 212,000 on a 06 Eddie Bauer all four of them are still Factory

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't heard people mention the rears going bad but the fronts even on the F150 seem to be a little problematic (I think the Expedition and F150 use the same front bearings). I know several people who have had to replace one or both fronts on F150's.

I am sort of wondering if I have a front going bad, I seem to have a little vibration at lower speed but it goes away at higher speed. Reminds me of my jeep with mud tires kind of a vibration.