When A/C is on I have no power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spank 141

Reaction score
I have a 00 5.4L Expy and when I turn the A/C on I loose almost all my low end power. I have never come accross this before and don't know what to do?? The A/C works just fine blows nice cold air I just can't use it because the truck won't get out of its own way when it is on. I have plenty of power and everything is fine with it off. I am familar with working on Fords, but have never had this happen. It seems like the A/c takes away 100hp. Any help would be awesome.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I never noticed much power loss with the a/c on in my expy.

Is this something new, has got progressively worse, or has it always been like that? How hot is it when this happens?

OP
OP
S

spank 141

Reaction score
It is a problem that just popped up one day. It wasn't progressive it just all happened at once. So I quit using it. I live in the middle of the desert so it is usally well into the 100s here. So I never get outside much to work on it. It has been cooling off a bit so I am ready to go work on it. The truck it self dosen't have any cooling problems with or without the A/C.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I know with mine in hot temps outside it used to get real sluggish with the air on...I did the following changes and cured that problem...I did a modified version of the Gotts mod, used pure gas (no ethanol) and 93 octane gas...also I bought a Edge CS programmer and went to a level 3 performance mode and made some custom calibrations on the Edge...Gas mileage went from 9 mpg city and watching the gauge drop and no power to 17 city and 23 highway....snappy peppy also changed shift points and times with programmer....best money I spent and has paid for itself...truck runs like a ***** ape...

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this is a new problem, the compressor is pulling more power, which could be a blockage in the orifice tube or condensor, compressor may be on the way out.