When is it time for an oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a lot of people using semi synthetic, or synthetic blend. Is there a reason you wouldn't use full synthetic? It's all I used in my previous Escalade. Is it just a cost thing?

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a lot of people using semi synthetic, or synthetic blend. Is there a reason you wouldn't use full synthetic? It's all I used in my previous Escalade. Is it just a cost thing?

Motorcraft Semi Synth is what the factory put in and recommended in the owners manual.

fabsroman

Reaction score
On a anew vehicle,I would also change it early regardless of what monitor or manual says.
I would change in by 1500 miles 2000 MAX.
Then go by monitor or every 5-6K with standard oil. You can go longer wit full synthetic...or stay at lower intervals and have a cleaner engine.
Cleanner doesn't really mean it will last longer or have fewer but it WILL be cleaner inside.

This is what I did. Changed the oil with the odometer at 500 miles and then again when the odometer read 5,000 miles. I will change it every 5,000 miles from thereon out and I use Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter on the SUV. I have been using Mobil 1 in my 89 Mustang, 98 Taurus, 03 F350, 10 Focus, and 17 Expedition. The Taurus has 254,000 miles on it and I removed the oil pan last summer after doing a timing gear/belt change, among other work. After 250,000 miles, there was zero sludge in the oil pan and I change the oil every 5,000 miles on the Taurus. If you keep the vehicle for a long time, like I do, dealing with sludge later on is a nasty mess.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what I did. Changed the oil with the odometer at 500 miles and then again when the odometer read 5,000 miles. I will change it every 5,000 miles from thereon out and I use Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter on the SUV. I have been using Mobil 1 in my 89 Mustang, 98 Taurus, 03 F350, 10 Focus, and 17 Expedition. The Taurus has 254,000 miles on it and I removed the oil pan last summer after doing a timing gear/belt change, among other work. After 250,000 miles, there was zero sludge in the oil pan and I change the oil every 5,000 miles on the Taurus. If you keep the vehicle for a long time, like I do, dealing with sludge later on is a nasty mess.

I have seen lots of clean engines with mobil 1 but I keep reading the regular syn is not as good as it used to be.

Filters are overkill. A standard motorcraft is all anyone needs and they are cheap at walmart.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen lots of clean engines with mobil 1 but I keep reading the regular syn is not as good as it used to be.

Filters are overkill. A standard motorcraft is all anyone needs and they are cheap at walmart.
My one parts guy uses Mobil, his coworker swears by the Lucas synthetic