When is it time for an oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m doing the same. We got the maintenance plan and they come get it every 7500 miles. Once that and the warranty are up we’ll decide at that point to keep it or bail. That will be at the 8 year point unless we hit the mileage which wouldn’t be too much earlier if we did.

Same. I am not an acolyte of the ”manufacturers want these things to die so they can sell you a new one” idea. I believe they try to make a quality product. I also believe no one knows these vehicles better than the people who designed and built them (which is the same reason I don't think it's a good idea to tune them or remove top-speed limiters or other such things). So I'm following the schedule and the oil life monitor. I also plan to get something new when my warranty runs out.

Here's an Edmunds article (from 9 years ago) on oil change myths:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/top-7-urban-legends-about-motor-oil.html

The first one is that you need to change your oil every 3k miles instead of following the schedule. Busted.

The fifth is that you need to do your first oil change early. Busted. (They also note that Honda includes an additive to the oil from the factory that helps the break-in process which actually makes it detrimental to change the oil early. Nothing about any other manufacturer, but this was 9 years ago, so maybe Ford does too now.)

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can never have any issues from changing the oil before the recommended oil change interval. Not with warranty or anything else. This would just show you're going above and beyond taking care of your vehicle. On the other note, manufacturers don't tell you to change the oil at 7500 miles so you can get the utmost life out of vehicle. When someone says they don't think the manufacturers want them to wear out quickly they are correct but they don't want them to last forever either. There is always a compromise between engineers, mechanics, designers, and manufacturers at the top level.
People argue all the time about 100% following what the manufacturer recommends such as oil grades Etc. They are wrong. If you do the bare minimum of what a manufacturer recommends you are not giving the vehicle the utmost level of protection, durability or longevity. Remember while they don't want your vehicle to wear out to prematurely they also don't want want it to last for 25 years.
But for the topic of oil change intervals it will make very little difference. As I stated before in this thread whether you change the oil at 1000 miles when you buy a new or 7500 Miles when you buy it new and did this for 500 vehicles each way. And those thousand Vehicles you would not notice any statistical differences on the engines having problems, wearing out or whatever between the ones that were changed it a thousand in the ones that were changed at 7500. It just doesn't make that much difference. But as I also said the oil will be dirtier when the engine is new and there will be more grit floating around in there the point is it doesn't do that much harm anyways.
So there are some facts you can focus on and you can even test the clarity and the contamination level and metal particulate particles like from Blackstone labs in an engine that only had two thousand miles on it from brand new and then test the same engine on the next oil change at 2000 miles and if you continue to do this you would find much less metal and much less metal and much fewer contaminants by the second or third oil change and you would in the first so it's a fact there's more in there. However it's also a fact but it makes very little difference.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can never have any issues from changing the oil before the recommended oil change interval. Not with warranty or anything else. This would just show you're going above and beyond taking care of your vehicle. On the other note, manufacturers don't tell you to change the oil at 7500 miles so you can get the utmost life out of vehicle. When someone says they don't think the manufacturers want them to wear out quickly they are correct but they don't want them to last forever either. There is always a compromise between engineers, mechanics, designers, and manufacturers at the top level.
People argue all the time about 100% following what the manufacturer recommends such as oil grades Etc. They are wrong. If you do the bare minimum of what a manufacturer recommends you are not giving the vehicle the utmost level of protection, durability or longevity. Remember while they don't want your vehicle to wear out to prematurely they also don't want want it to last for 25 years.
But for the topic of oil change intervals it will make very little difference. As I stated before in this thread whether you change the oil at 1000 miles when you buy a new or 7500 Miles when you buy it new and did this for 500 vehicles each way. And those thousand Vehicles you would not notice any statistical differences on the engines having problems, wearing out or whatever between the ones that were changed it a thousand in the ones that were changed at 7500. It just doesn't make that much difference. But as I also said the oil will be dirtier when the engine is new and there will be more grit floating around in there the point is it doesn't do that much harm anyways.
So there are some facts you can focus on and you can even test the clarity and the contamination level and metal particulate particles like from Blackstone labs in an engine that only had two thousand miles on it from brand new and then test the same engine on the next oil change at 2000 miles and if you continue to do this you would find much less metal and much less metal and much fewer contaminants by the second or third oil change and you would in the first so it's a fact there's more in there. However it's also a fact but it makes very little difference.

I agree with all this. But why 3000 miles? What is the magic of that number? Going with the logic of your post, why not change it every 1000 miles? Or 500?

Because someone at some point (with the engine and oil technology that was current at that time) decided 3000 was the “right” number. And that was at least 20 years ago because I have been driving for that long and it was 3000 when I got my first car. So we’ve held to this 3000 number over a 20 year period even though technology surrounding engines, oil, manufacturing, materials, quality control, etc have all advanced significantly.

So no, I have no beef with anyone changing their oil more regularly than the oil life monitor and the scheduled maintenance schedule suggest. But the main benefit of holding to that likely outdated standard of care is probably just peace of mind and not much else. But there is a LOT of value to peace of mind, that’s why I have life insurance.

(important disclaimer: I am not an engineer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

Last edited:

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you need to also look at timeframes, too.

My wife drives a 2017 Honda CR-V. Honda states for newer cars use the 1 Year/7500 Miles schedule. More aggressive drivers should follow the 3 Month/3000 Mile schedule.

My wife had her first oil change Sept/Oct 2019 with only ~3500 miles. She basically drives 1 mile to work and 1 mile home every day. Additional miles are when she needs to run errands or needs to pick up our son. To put things in perspective, her last car was a 2002 Honda Civic and it currently only has 80K miles on it.

All this talk about what mileage should be used, just needs to remember that some people are on the 6 Month or 1 Year schedule. ;)

I will also need to talk to my service guys and ask about tranny fluid changes. On my Honda Pilot, I would get it changed at the end of every towing season. Depending on how much I actually towed, I would get a full flush. Not sure how Expys deal with that and the 10 Speed tranny.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with all this. But why 3000 miles? What is the magic of that number? Going with the logic of your post, why not change it every 1000 miles? Or 500?

Because someone at some point (with the engine and oil technology that was current at that time) decided 3000 was the “right” number. And that was at least 20 years ago because I have been driving for that long and it was 3000 when I got my first car. So we’ve held to this 3000 number over a 20 year period even though technology surrounding engines, oil, manufacturing, materials, quality control, etc have all advanced significantly.

So no, I have no beef with anyone changing their oil more regularly than the oil life monitor and the scheduled maintenance schedule suggest. But the main benefit of holding to that likely outdated standard of care is probably just peace of mind and not much else. But there is a LOT of value to peace of mind, that’s why I have life insurance.

(important disclaimer: I am not an engineer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

Honestly, I think mileage was something people could remember easier. I remember when the average driver would put on 12,000 miles per year. If you dived that by 3 months, you get 3000 miles. My guess is that was where the old 3 Month/3000 mile number came from. I

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my service advisor was hot, tall about 5'9" slim blonde chick in yoga pants and a form-fitting ford polo shirt with zero personality, but the eye candy made up for it :D

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my service advisor was hot, tall about 5'9" slim blonde chick in yoga pants and a form-fitting ford polo shirt with zero personality, but the eye candy made up for it :D

My service advisors are usually male. And pushing retirement. And 250 pounds plus. And thankfully not wearing yoga pants.

Clearly I’m going to the wrong dealership.

Plati

Reaction score
In that situation, oil changes are weekly

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I don't think I ever mentioned 3000 Miles. I was only saying that on a brand new engine or a rebuilt one I would do it before 1500 or 2000. After that 3000 is actually too early. You're correct the 3000 came into play a little over twenty years ago. But it is actually a scam! The industry has convinced the American people to change the oil every 3 months or 3000 Miles simply because Jiffy Lube and the likes of the Quick Change Oil places wanted to build an Empire which they did. There were those things on almost every corner and multiple ones in every city. Now a lot of it has died off and they have disappeared down to probably less than half of what they used to be or maybe even 25%.
At no time that engines actually need their oil changed every 3000 Miles however one benefit was the older cars tend to use or leak more oil and for people who are too lazy to pull the stick and check it or add to it having it done every 3 months could save some engines.
We have been spoiled by engines since the late 80s with not using or leaking oil. We can go an entire 3 to 3500 miles and not be over a quart low on the stick. Some use hardly any in that length of time. In the old days this didn't happen. In the old days you would blow up your engine or at least turn a corner and have the oil light flicker on it cuz you were down to very minimal amount of oil. But remember Society changed. And these old days you had full service gas stations that check and topped off your oil for free and then later on they started charging it for it but they still did it.
Garages used to fix cars and happened to do an oil change while you were there. People did still take their cars in to get their services but it was nothing like the massive industry created by the Quick Change Oil places
The 3-month 3000 Miles was just to keep them making more business and allow me to build more stores.
We must remember that during these exact same times all of the manufacturers were saying to change the oil every 7500 miles or 5000 miles. Very few manufacturers recommended 3000.
So the magic number was probably just what they figured the people would believe.
I will give them some credit as there might have been some thought put into it about what I said earlier about how long it takes for the car to get down to a level that it's starting to get a little dangerous. Had they have said 5 months 5000 miles I would have been more into a danger level than 3000.
So maybe there was a little bit of logic behind it but mostly it was let's make it as short as possible so we can make more money by changing oil more often.
The dealers and smaller garages didn't really want you to come in any more than you had to for oil changes and Lube is because they didn't really like doing them and they didn't make that much money. It's almost a lost leader for some of the shops. That's why they would run their 9.95 oil change specials. They did it at Cost or just slightly above cost so I can get you in there to pick out everything else your car needed to get your future business.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think I ever mentioned 3000 Miles. I was only saying that on a brand new engine or a rebuilt one I would do it before 1500 or 2000. After that 3000 is actually too early. You're correct the 3000 came into play a little over twenty years ago. But it is actually a scam! The industry has convinced the American people to change the oil every 3 months or 3000 Miles simply because Jiffy Lube and the likes of the Quick Change Oil places wanted to build an Empire which they did. There were those things on almost every corner and multiple ones in every city. Now a lot of it has died off and they have disappeared down to probably less than half of what they used to be or maybe even 25%.
At no time that engines actually need their oil changed every 3000 Miles however one benefit was the older cars tend to use or leak more oil and for people who are too lazy to pull the stick and check it or add to it having it done every 3 months could save some engines.
We have been spoiled by engines since the late 80s with not using or leaking oil. We can go an entire 3 to 3500 miles and not be over a quart low on the stick. Some use hardly any in that length of time. In the old days this didn't happen. In the old days you would blow up your engine or at least turn a corner and have the oil light flicker on it cuz you were down to very minimal amount of oil. But remember Society changed. And these old days you had full service gas stations that check and topped off your oil for free and then later on they started charging it for it but they still did it.
Garages used to fix cars and happened to do an oil change while you were there. People did still take their cars in to get their services but it was nothing like the massive industry created by the Quick Change Oil places
The 3-month 3000 Miles was just to keep them making more business and allow me to build more stores.
We must remember that during these exact same times all of the manufacturers were saying to change the oil every 7500 miles or 5000 miles. Very few manufacturers recommended 3000.
So the magic number was probably just what they figured the people would believe.
I will give them some credit as there might have been some thought put into it about what I said earlier about how long it takes for the car to get down to a level that it's starting to get a little dangerous. Had they have said 5 months 5000 miles I would have been more into a danger level than 3000.
So maybe there was a little bit of logic behind it but mostly it was let's make it as short as possible so we can make more money by changing oil more often.
The dealers and smaller garages didn't really want you to come in any more than you had to for oil changes and Lube is because they didn't really like doing them and they didn't make that much money. It's almost a lost leader for some of the shops. That's why they would run their 9.95 oil change specials. They did it at Cost or just slightly above cost so I can get you in there to pick out everything else your car needed to get your future business.

I was not at all suggesting you were advocating 3k miles. If it came off that way, I apologize. I think everything you're saying is spot on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire