When is it time for an oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My oil life monitor says 37% left, I'm at 5,500 miles and my Expedition is about 2 months old.

The dealer said to ignore the oil life monitor and get it changed every 5k with tire rotation and it will cost about 12k points with an oil blend, which I have 42k points currently.

Thoughts?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My oil life monitor says 37% left, I'm at 5,500 miles and my Expedition is about 2 months old.

The dealer said to ignore the oil life monitor and get it changed every 5k with tire rotation and it will cost about 12k points with an oil blend, which I have 42k points currently.

Thoughts?

First oil change - I would have it done now.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious as to how this oil monitor decides the change interval? It isn't mileage based, or at least not totally. Mine expedition sees 2 types of use mostly, towing the trailer or short trips to the school or supermarket and so far, the oil change indicator seems to hit below 5k every time. This last one was just a bit over 4k miles.

OrangeWhipX3

Reaction score
Curious as to how this oil monitor decides the change interval? It isn't mileage based, or at least not totally. Mine expedition sees 2 types of use mostly, towing the trailer or short trips to the school or supermarket and so far, the oil change indicator seems to hit below 5k every time. This last one was just a bit over 4k miles.

It's an amalgamation of things. Temperature, how hard you work the vehicle, percentage of tow/haul time

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's an amalgamation of things. Temperature, how hard you work the vehicle, percentage of tow/haul time

I wonder of they factor in when the dealers need a little more income, so you get an earlier oil change???? Easy to program that in just like every other factor they incorporated.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On a anew vehicle,I would also change it early regardless of what monitor or manual says.
I would change in by 1500 miles 2000 MAX.
Then go by monitor or every 5-6K with standard oil. You can go longer wit full synthetic...or stay at lower intervals and have a cleaner engine.
Cleanner doesn't really mean it will last longer or have fewer but it WILL be cleaner inside.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dumped mine around 2,000 miles initially just to get the metal out and give it a clean start.

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dumped mine around 2,000 miles initially just to get the metal out and give it a clean start.
isn't that old school, i think today's engines are obviously better built with better tolerances/

but i will admit i changed the oil in my BMW at 1k whe new, the Expedition I wasn't as worried about, but I have an appt today and it said it's about 12k points for "The Works aka Blended oil"

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
isn't that old school, i think today's engines are obviously better built with better tolerances/

but i will admit i changed the oil in my BMW at 1k whe new, the Expedition I wasn't as worried about, but I have an appt today and it said it's about 12k points for "The Works aka Blended oil"

Its still an engine with moving internal parts right?????????? Or has technology surpassed that too? Things haven't advanced as much as some believe. Maintenance is still required on things even tho the manufacturers have changed their story so their vehicle "appears cheaper to maintain" over time. Its all games to sell move vehicles. Sure engines burn cleaner, but they also burn a ton hotter, so that makes more wear alone. Its complicated now with all the snake oil myths an BS that floats around, its hard to know what to believe anymore.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its still an engine with moving internal parts right?????????? Or has technology surpassed that too? Things haven't advanced as much as some believe. Maintenance is still required on things even tho the manufacturers have changed their story so their vehicle "appears cheaper to maintain" over time. Its all games to sell move vehicles. Sure engines burn cleaner, but they also burn a ton hotter, so that makes more wear alone. Its complicated now with all the snake oil myths an BS that floats around, its hard to know what to believe anymore.

Unless I see some good evidence otherwise, new engines haven't been run much prior to assembly with all new parts with fresh milled edges, there is will always be a higher percentage of metal particulates wearing off the crisp edges during the break in time. All that should get captured by the oil filter but I still think most manufacturers call for an early interval on the first change.

Also, the oil in these goes through the turbos right? I would think that heat is going to put more wear and tear on the oil than anything else. I have always felt engines with forced induction need more frequent oil changes.