Which Factory Head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SigSaurP228

Reaction score
I just recently purchased my 2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer.

Of course I bought it used and it is a very clean truck, I am enjoying it thus far. One thing that is really bothering me tremendously is that the previous owner installed a Single din old Pioneer cd player.

The sound is horrible and it is a serious pain to adjust the settings. Today I put 4 new pioneer 4 way 6x8's in it which helped a bit.

I know I can buy the metra harness and hook the factory sub to the radio and that might help, BUT I would really like to have the steering wheel controls back.

So can anyone tell me which model factory head unit I need to put back in it. I know my truck did not come equipped with rear dvd so that probably means no navigation as well.

I am seriously confuse and would hate to spend the money and not get the right unit.

I would love to have a new after market but funds are just to tight for that at the moment. So any help with advice would be appreciated.

I am just hoping and praying that the factory harnesses are intact.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally...i would get the steering control harness and put a DDIN in and you can see which of the latest models will fit on Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras and outfit your car...when u see the one you like search on the internet for cheaper pricing...

crutchfield gives ALL manufacturer rebates...discount pricing and will also send all data sheets for free as well as any harness that is needed...lifetime support as long as you own that equipment...so i u get another car and want to put that unit in it...10yrs later...they will help you install it for free!!!

Team Zombie

Reaction score
2nd on the PAC unit for getting your steering wheel controls back.

If you do decide to keep the half din radio i would suggest a parametric eq coupled with 4way amp to power to door speakers. Clarion has a seven band 1/4 in dash on that I have and couldn't live without.... well until i can afford five 13 band equalizers (I'm that ****).

OP
OP
S

SigSaurP228

Reaction score
I know this is going to sound horrible. Cash is tight at the moment so what can I say I am not ready to go big or go home yet, I really want a new double din dvd the whole 9 yards but at the moment it is out of the question. Finding the factory head unit is a serious PIA. So for the moment I yanked out the Old school Pioneer that was in it. After reading it was older than the truck. I purchased a used Boss Audio single Din in Dash with DVD out and bluetooth. I know Boss Audio is not top of the line but it had all of the features I wanted. I sold the Pioneer for $45 Picked up the Boss for $50 and added Bluetooth, and DVD capability. I replaced all the door speakers with new 4 way Pioneers which was a huge improvement. I was really looking for the factory so I could Tie in the factory sub for better sound. I got to digging around and found a Sony 400 watt after market amp and all the wiring for it prerun in the back console where the factory sub was I saw the rca cables when I pulled the old Pioneer. I hooked it up and RATS no power. Did some further digging someone installed the remote on with a spaded connector in the line, it came unplugged. We are no where even remotely close to where it is going to be but we have made leaps and bounds improvement.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool...if u can afford monthly payments...crutchfield will do payments/financing as well...