Which is Better for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bjamin

Reaction score
I've got an 00 Expy with 5.4 and 3:55 gears limited slip and have the opprtunity to buy an 03 Navigator with the 5.4 and 3:73 non-limited slip 3.73 ratio, non-limited slip. Which one is going to be better for towning?

Anyone? Thanks in advance!
Ben

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well for towing i would rather have a limited slip diff. the 3.73 would be better for towing. the 3.73 you will get worse gas milage then with the 3.55. what kind of load do you plan on towing and the 5.4 has enough low end that either gear will work for you and i take it that you are looking at 2 wheel drive ones

i think the 5.4 has more horsepower in the navigator then the expedition since i think it is a doch 5.4 instead of a regular 5.4. the navigator will pull alittle better but you will turn more rpms then the expedition and use more gas

if you plan on towing a boat and it is a two wheel drive i would want the limited slip instead of the 3.73 non limited slip

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the DOHC motor has more compression and would get better mileage than the 2 valve motor with the 3.73 gear. That motor could really tolerate some aggressive timing on cheap gas since it has that really nice combustion chamber too. The DOHC has a higher rpm efficiency range than the 2 valve motor does and has less low end so the 3.73 gear is needed and better for that higher strung motor. The DOHC motor also comes with a looser torque converter to compensate for the lesser low end, so that might cost you a bit of mileage in town but it should all equal out in the end.......
Matt

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't realy notice an MPG difference when I went from 3.31 to 4.10 on street tires (285-60R18). Seriously.

MPG was never great, still isn't.

About 14 if I baby it but why bother doing that with a blower? About 10 if I drive like normal. this was with 3.31 and 4.10s that I have now.

Drivability is so much better with the 4.10s, it's my second-favorite mod, right after the blower.