Which Tune? MPT vs Livernois vs 5 Star vs Unleashed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great info... My only gamble is that if I can’t stand the smell of the catless downpipes then I’ve just blown a bunch of $$$. If I just get a set of high flow catted DPs then I’m only sacrificing a few HP and don’t have to be concerned with the smell or possible rasp if I end up upgrading the rest of my exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Catless pipes are much cheaper!

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so when I’ve been trying to find a vendor for the 2015 Expedition for catless DP I’m finding nothing? SPD I think carry’s them but does anyone else?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, so when I’ve been trying to find a vendor for the 2015 Expedition for catless DP I’m finding nothing? SPD I think carry’s them but does anyone else?

I am only aware of SPD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really awesome responses. I love the detail you guys shared. It’s this kind of banter than helps a guy like me make some decisions. Which takes me to another question:

I’m getting a cat code these days and I’m thinking one or both cats are on their way out. I live in a state out in the country with zero emissions testing nor inspections. Most people here have majorly modified exhaust systems. Is there any detriment to going catless? I don’t want loud noise nor stink. If pulling the cats is going to make the truck obnoxious in the noise and smell category then are there high flow aftermarket cheaper cats you can recommend? I’m not wanting to sink tons of $$$ into cats.

If you go catless, keep your old cats in case you need to sell it. Also, try changing your downstream O2 sensors before anything else. 3.5L burns them up about every 100k miles. I have a 2013 Taurus 3.5L that was throwing bad cat banks 1 & 2 codes. dropped in new Bosch O2 sensors. cleared all codes and no issues for 10k miles now. More power & better mileage now.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do new Catless downpipes, you will not regret it!

Talk to whoever you get to do your tune about it. The tune can dial in a bit more power because heat will be leaving your motor easier.

It is a win/win! As long as the rest of exhaust is stock, you will get a little more sound, but it won’t be dramatic.

Catless DPs will lose power compared to catted And only one or two brands out there that won’t give you a CEL

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this applies to the EcoBoost...but I was all set to get an TSX from 5Star for my 5.4 Triton but something stopped me. They said it’s for 2005-14 Expeditions with the 5.4. My issue was a 2007+ has the 6R75 transmission and the 05-06 has the 4R70....tuning is hardly close on a transmission with a 1st gear ratio of 4.17 with 6 gears vs 2.84 and 4 gears. They are worlds apart in the real world so i can’t imagine a one size fits all works over the 2nd and 3rd gens. And that isn’t even counting the ECM and TCM separation + complete changes when Ford moved to the 3rd gen. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m not thinking so, they should have two separate categories for the transmission change over imo. Sounds too “canned” or “one size fits all”. However people have raved about 5Star and say they produce great results so I wouldn’t try to talk them down. They are nice guys, I recall talking with the owner about the 7.3 maybe 6 months ago on FTE and he was very knowledgeable and it was cool to get the inside scoop of them working on a brand new power plant. He got over 500 lb ft on that engine with his basic 87 tune on the Dyno.

Last edited:

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score

SPD no longer sells catless DPs, may be on their website but they discontinued them due to emissions cracking down

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Catless DPs will lose power compared to catted And only one or two brands out there that won’t give you a CEL

What brands are offering them.

Properly tuned in an EB you shouldn’t lose any. Powerband might move a little.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SPD no longer sells catless DPs, may be on their website but they discontinued them due to emissions cracking down

Interesting, cause I know somebody who got a set less than a month ago...