Which Tune? MPT vs Livernois vs 5 Star vs Unleashed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love the ignore button. Just keep throwing money at stuff. Seems to work for ya

Haven't thrown any money at stuff. I have done 3 things power/engine wise to both my 2020 Explorer ST and 2020 Expedition. 2 of them have little or no power benefit. AFE Dry Drop in Filters, JLT Catch Cans, and Tuning. ZFG E85 on Stock Fuel System on the Expedition Daily, and ZFG E50 on the ST daily.

Best 0-60 on the Expedition is 4.71, and the best on the ST is 3.75. Not to mention better shifting.

Pretty Happy with the performance for the money!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So change of plans, called MPT this morning because their website doesn’t allow you to put in a billing address and a separate shipping address. Guy on the phone wasn’t helpful and just said they can’t do it. I mentioned that I work on the road so I’m always in a different state and really need to have the tuner shipped to a different address than my billing address. He said to call my bank to fix it???? I hung up and called ZFG, spoke to Adam for ten minutes and was sold. I have a two tune and tuner package coming by tomorrow and I’m looking forward to dialing in my truck for better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Enjoy! Definitely looking forward to seeing what you think. Was also curious about MPT.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haven't thrown any money at stuff. I have done 3 things power/engine wise to both my 2020 Explorer ST and 2020 Expedition. 2 of them have little or no power benefit. AFE Dry Drop in Filters, JLT Catch Cans, and Tuning. ZFG E85 on Stock Fuel System on the Expedition Daily, and ZFG E50 on the ST daily.

Best 0-60 on the Expedition is 4.71, and the best on the ST is 3.75. Not to mention better shifting.

Pretty Happy with the performance for the money!

Thanks for all the info. Now I'm thinking about getting an Explorer and tuning it for a daily driver. I don't like putting miles on my Expedition, since it's our tow vehicle.

Have you thought about upgrading to the Full-Race twin turbo kit for the 3.5 Ecoboost? I think it fits the Expedition.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny you ask, I actually blew my drivers side turbo at around 100,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty along with throttle body, leaking coolant line etc. If I happen to throw my turbo (s) again, I’ll absolutely upgrade.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny you ask, I actually blew my drivers side turbo at around 100,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty along with throttle body, leaking coolant line etc. If I happen to throw my turbo (s) again, I’ll absolutely upgrade.

What OCI and oil type are you using? Short trips or highway? Max boost? Trying to maximize longevity on the tow vehicle. It has an extended warranty until 125K. I may get a 2018+ after that.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just for clarity, best exhaust for a Turbo powered vehicle performance wise, is no exhaust. Get heat out as quick as possible, with the least restriction. That is not the same as a NA Motor where you need back pressure.
Yeah I would think the back pressure from the turbos in the beginning of spooling (TURBO LAG) would be enough resistance or back pressure. Like you stated it’s not a NA Motor.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I would think the back pressure from the turbos in the beginning of spooling (TURBO LAG) would be enough resistance or back pressure. Like you stated it’s not a NA Motor.
Yeah man just head over to ZFG, they will get you setup with literally whatever you want! You wanna run 100% ethanol or propane injection they will set u up!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah man just head over to ZFG, they will get you setup with literally whatever you want! You wanna run 100% ethanol or propane injection they will set u up!

Now you are just being ridiculous. Don’t want to listen to anybody. This is what gets you in trouble around here.

Methanol, sure. Propane is for diesels. Also, can’t run 100% ethanol...it would flash WAY too easy.

You act like ZFG is blowing stuff up left and right. Show me some proof.

Just because somebody doesn’t recommend 5 Star, doesn’t mean they are wrong.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Now I'm thinking about getting an Explorer and tuning it for a daily driver. I don't like putting miles on my Expedition, since it's our tow vehicle.

Have you thought about upgrading to the Full-Race twin turbo kit for the 3.5 Ecoboost? I think it fits the Expedition.

I love my ST, but word of advice wait until the 2021's. The 2020's have some first year issues. Mine has been good, but others haven't been that lucky. 21's are going to have some harness changes, and be a little less expensive, and some of the options are going to be cheaper too. Worth the wait.

My 2020 Expedition is my wife's daily, so it will stay on the Stock Turbo's for now. Might do an upgraded HPFP(High Pressure Fuel Pump) sometime this Winter, so I can run E85 at full tilt. It is relatively easy to swap it out and back to stock for dealer work. Other thing on the list is the upgraded IC.

My ST is SO much fun. Even on a ZFG 93 it is good for 4.06 0-60 and 12.32 1/4 on Dragy. I laugh when a SRT anything pulls up next to me. Out of the hole, on the street they don't have a chance.