Which would u buy 2017 platinum or 2019 limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 18+ frame doesn’t have more torsional rigidity than the 2007-2014 frame lol. We have an extra 500 pounds of steel....and a 5 star crash test rating.

I’d go with the 4th gen simply because you’ll have newer and fresher, have more warranty, more reliability, extra safety features etc. nicer interior is a plus.

Here’s an excerpt from the then ‘all new’ 2007 Expedition press release on the frame.
View attachment 41616

The 2018 Expedition has a new, more rigid frame and retains its independent rear suspension and continuously controlled damping, which was originally exclusive to Lincoln. The Expedition is the only Ford-branded product to get the active shocks. There are 18-, 20-, and 22-inch wheels available, and 17s are an option for fleet vehicles.

The extra steel was in the body panels, not the frame. Being heavier doesn’t mean stronger. I love my third gen, but the fourth gen is a better vehicle in literally every measurable way. Saying it’s not is being obtuse, all of the data and numbers are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2018 Expedition has a new, more rigid frame and retains its independent rear suspension and continuously controlled damping, which was originally exclusive to Lincoln. The Expedition is the only Ford-branded product to get the active shocks. There are 18-, 20-, and 22-inch wheels available, and 17s are an option for fleet vehicles.

The extra steel was in the body panels, not the frame. Being heavier doesn’t mean stronger. I love my third gen, but the fourth gen is a better vehicle in literally every measurable way. Saying it’s not is being obtuse, all of the data and numbers are out there.

Nobodies saying it’s not, but the claim about the frame being safer is unfounded and there is not data to back it up since a 2017 and 2018 have identical front crash scores from NHTSA. Anything else regarding that is anecdotal and opinion unless we get some new tests that say otherwise. The added safety measure of the 4th gen are better safety features and equipment. The Expedition does not receive the crash bars the F-150 does because it is not tested in an offset either. Data isn’t out there.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This shows the 2017 scoring better for head injury and neck tension over a 2018. And a 2018 scoring better on femur tension and compression as well as chest compression over a 2017. Still not sure that says ANYTHING about either frame. I’d say that alludes a lot more to seat backs, restraint systems, and airbags. Door jambs and bolsters appear to have held rock steady in both trucks. I have all night lol.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For clarity on some incorrect statements said above in regards to the CCD.

The 15-17’s had CCD in the Platinums equipped with the 22’s. In addition it was adjustable within 3 settings all the time.

The 18+ on get CCD when equipped with 22’s. They are standard on Platinum and optional on Limited. I think in 2021 it became a Selectable option, as in you could option it not tied to 22’s, but don’t quote me on that. It is also exclusively tied to Drive Modes. So you can’t have stiffer shocks in Normal mode.

Also, 100%, weight in a frame does not always equal strength. Some of that is design! The 4th Gen frame definitely flexes less. Again, owned a 15, 17, and now a 20. Not speaking from theory but actual use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Idk if you decided yet OP, for this particular truck option, the 17 has ccd and heavy tow and the 19 is on base springs and non heavy tow. Don't know how much towing you plan on doing but if your doing heavy towing(under 5k lbs), you'll be fine with either. Because the 19 is lowest ltd (it looks to have the copilot suite minus park assist), the feature content will be similar. Since the 17 has ccd, it will ride better than the 19 if you prefer floaty and isolating, but the 19 will ride more firm and steady and will be able to take turns and curves way better. The 19 will have way more room, esp in the last two rows, but the 17s is still adequate. Subjectively, I feel the interior ambiance is way better in the 19, but it could be different for you. Both are safe trucks, the 19 has more preventative things. In other words, the 17 will feel more like an old but comfy pair of jeans, the 19 will feel like new crispy pairs with more pockets and better feeling polyester.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This shows the 2017 scoring better for head injury and neck tension over a 2018. And a 2018 scoring better on femur tension and compression as well as chest compression over a 2017. Still not sure that says ANYTHING about either frame. I’d say that alludes a lot more to seat backs, restraint systems, and airbags. Door jambs and bolsters appear to have held rock steady in both trucks. I have all night lol.

LOL I have a kid, I don’t have all night. But this is from Ford.

https://www.oem1stop.com/sites/default/files/OnTarget_vol3_highres.pdf

It is their claim, not mine, that the new T3 based frame borrowed from the F150 is stronger, lighter and more rigid. You said there wasn’t crash data so I posted it. I didn’t look at it. You’re probably right about the seat designs and reported injuries in the tested crash.

The new vehicle is roughly 300 lbs lighter than the old model, mostly due to the aluminum body panels and boron steel frame.

I’m just saying Ford spent a decade and millions of dollars in R and D. Every generation of expedition/f150 has been stronger, quieter and safer than the previous gen.

In addition when the 18s received the 5-star rating, Ford specifically credited the added strength of the new frame and the aluminum body, whatever that’s worth.

The OP posted a question wanting to know opinions between the gens and I gave mine. I love the 15-17s but at their core minus the power plant, they’re still an 07. The fourth gen is an upgrade in every way. That’s all I was saying [emoji2373]

Last edited:

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For clarity on some incorrect statements said above in regards to the CCD.

The 15-17’s had CCD in the Platinums equipped with the 22’s. In addition it was adjustable within 3 settings all the time.

The 18+ on get CCD when equipped with 22’s. They are standard on Platinum and optional on Limited. I think in 2021 it became a Selectable option, as in you could option it not tied to 22’s, but don’t quote me on that. It is also exclusively tied to Drive Modes. So you can’t have stiffer shocks in Normal mode.

Also, 100%, weight in a frame does not always equal strength. Some of that is design! The 4th Gen frame definitely flexes less. Again, owned a 15, 17, and now a 20. Not speaking from theory but actual use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And that was my bad. I wasn’t trying to copy the paragraph but absolutely did. I was just referencing the frame info. My fault, thanks for the correction.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It makes sense that the gen 4 is improved in many ways and some like the earlier models in some ways and yes I have time to listen. Car makers often get too carried away on unnecessary stuff that they think will help sales though.