Whirring noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now these things are failing? Since when? I never replaced on in my life, and I've had all my cars to at least 250K miles.
No reported failures is a clue to the design engineers that the component is over-designed, and so they change the design to save money.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Now these things are failing? Since when? I never replaced on in my life, and I've had all my cars to at least 250K miles.
This has been a very common failure for the f150 and expeditions.

Corrosion starts in the U joints of the shaft and they stiffen up causing noise and tight steerinf

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was unaware this is a common failure. Made some unsettling noises when steering at low speeds that’s for sure.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Fordtechmakulo did a video about it. That's the only reason I knew about it.

The steering is almost too smooth, I miss the old harsh truckish steering lol.

I noticed in his video he said steering loosens up as it warms up when the shaft goes bad. I had that symptom as well. He also mentioned the hydraulic steering parts are reliable and rarely fail, it’s usually this.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they put back on a Ford or aftermarket part? If aftermarket, that may explain the looser steering feel. I change a leaky worn rack on my 86 Mustang GT years back. Didn't like the looser feel of the aftermarket rack, but it was in, and I just lived with it. The OEM one had a nice firm feel, the aftermarket one felt like driving a 4 door sedan.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they put back on a Ford or aftermarket part? If aftermarket, that may explain the looser steering feel. I change a leaky worn rack on my 86 Mustang GT years back. Didn't like the looser feel of the aftermarket rack, but it was in, and I just lived with it. The OEM one had a nice firm feel, the aftermarket one felt like driving a 4 door sedan.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Blue thingy says FoMoCo
972568B4-E2BC-4D71-9324-C95D1FA05E63.jpeg