Why does base HVAC have more connectors than digital climate control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Trainmaster : The connector pics are out of order, it's 1>>3 and 2>>4

The colors, shapes, and general pinouts match, they're not wildly different

I see just 4 missing sensor inputs (C228A #2-#5 pins), and if the F150 and Superduty guys are to be believed their swapped A/Cs work with sensors unhooked... and of course the hookups for an additional blend door that just makes for a dummy zone that does nothing (allegedly)

The big question is that 3rd connector

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh and does 07-11 or 12-14 matter???

EDIT: hope not, cuz my cheap azz ordered the newer&cheaper one

PS clarification: i just want it for looks and to have BASIC a/c functionality... if some of the extra zone features don't work but it still blows hot and cold on demand, I'll be satisfied and could care less

Last edited:

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing I would try to locate is the "Blower Motor Speed Control" (DATC) which replaces the Blower motor resistor (EMTC)

SidebySide.jpg

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing I would try to locate is the "Blower Motor Speed Control" (DATC) which replaces the Blower motor resistor (EMTC)

View attachment 31957

This is something I'd need to add, you figure? Thanks for info

Hmmm... got a diagram with readable labels, though? Not enough pixels to magnify in this one

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 31957

Interestingly enough, I found Superduty threads that mention that 2011 Superduties have the DATC and EMTC differentiated setups for manual vs digital....BUT other threads mentioning that for 2011 Superduties, their digital controls are plug and play swap drop right in for manual trucks, long as you don't care that it actually only controls a single zone

So might not actually be necessary to swap these parts?

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...i don't get it.

I traced the harness, and it goes in its entirety --- all 4 wires -- to what appears to be the "blower motor resistor", which looks to be a MAF-like sensor.

View media item 6898View media item 6899
But....why does such a thing exist in a MANUAL hvac unit in the first place?

And while it seems to be possible to replace it with the "Blower Motor Speed Control" gizmo, the thing it replaces is wired solely to the manual-only connector missing from the auto climate unit...

PS aforementioned Blower Motor Speed Control (Auto CC)
View media item 6901

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait what the heck? Far from sending commands from the dial controls as this pinout implies, it's actually RECEIVING them from the resistor sensor gizmo...

Screenshot_2019-09-04-15-25-16.png

Seriously though, why does a manual A/C unit even have one of these??

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gave it some thought and this is what I came up with.

See attached

Attachments

• HVAC Control Panel SWAP.pdf
    941.5 KB · Views: 13

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcason94