Why, What are you doing Ford?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parked next to one of these ugly things today and just had to ask..........WHY?! Why was this created LOL. Smaller and less useable cargo space than a sedan, presumably worse fuel economy. Less crumple zone and less safe than a sedan. I’m sure worse center of gravity and higher rollover risk. Are people that in need of a wannabe truck? A sedan makes so much more sense to me. It can’t tow or do anything an SUV should do and has no payload capacity. Just things you wonder when you park your Expedition next to something that you don’t quite get lol.

F0903F73-0541-45AD-BE9E-5675A5D94C89.jpeg

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree ....

BUT, it's a "suv" or "crossover" to someone who doesn't want, doesn't see value in, or simply chooses not to spend their money on a larger vehicle. Who knows.....that niche may be large enough to support production? Like Kerry's old Cube, it may be a lot larger feeling inside....

jeff

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It's cheap to make and can be tiny without appearing tiny. Combined with a compliant media which hypes anything government does, these little egg-cars are just what the CAFE standards have called for. Pretty pathetic that the masses rush to whatever they are told is best.

I'm no longer impressed with Fords, though other manufacturers seem to have their shortcomings also. But then there's not too much here that impresses me today.

I'm sounding a lot like my father now...

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CAFE standards and loopholes. We want cars we can afford and with as much room as possible. Looks like an Escape or an Ecosport. Escape used to be an ok compact crossover but a few redesigns back they switched to rebranding the Ford Kuga. Part of “One Ford” plans where they no longer sell different models in different regions. They are building SUV shapes on car platforms.

The sedans are losing to crossovers because for the same size you get more interior room in these eggs.

The Ecosport is the same platform as the Fiesta and the Escape is now the same platform as the Focus.

As for CAFE standards crossovers were classified in the truck category which were less strict.

NOTE: I don’t like it, just explaining.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a fan, but as a Ford shareholder, I'd ask Ford - why wouldn't you?

54,348 were sold in the US in 2018, just a few hundred units behind the Expedition. Thats 54,348 Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Buick Encore, and Chevy TRAX customers coming in to Ford showrooms. (eh, I suppose Enterprise, AVIS, and Hertz are technically customers)

Lets say the profit margin was a measly $200 a copy. Thats $10.5M in profit and most of your R&D money was spent at Ford Brazil in 2010/2011 time frame.

Its 4-star driver, 4-star front passenger, and 4-star overall crash rated. Which is great for 3rd world countries where it sells like hot curry.

In the US a family of 5 might not love this commuter car. You don't tow boats or haul lumber with it.