Why, What are you doing Ford?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CAFE standards and loopholes. We want cars we can afford and with as much room as possible. Looks like an Escape or an Ecosport. Escape used to be an ok compact crossover but a few redesigns back they switched to rebranding the Ford Kuga. Part of “One Ford” plans where they no longer sell different models in different regions. They are building SUV shapes on car platforms.

The sedans are losing to crossovers because for the same size you get more interior room in these eggs.

The Ecosport is the same platform as the Fiesta and the Escape is now the same platform as the Focus.

As for CAFE standards crossovers were classified in the truck category which were less strict.

NOTE: I don’t like it, just explaining.

Agreed. This all goes back to CAFE; they have to make those numbers for the fleet.

Today it was announced that Ford (along with BMW, Honda and VW) went behind the feds directly to the California Air Resources Board to discuss and establish new requirements for fuel economy into the 2020’s.

There was talk at the federal level of relaxing the CARB requirements set back in the late 2000s and removing California’s ability to set it’s own emission standards (no other state is permitted to set emission standards for themselves. Other states can choose to follow CA’s standards and many do. But no other state can create such standards)

The automakers want a single set of rules to abide by and from what I read, Ford in particular was interested in this meeting in hopes of gaining clarity and creating a game plan for future vehicles. They don’t want to have to sell two different types of cars to meet some states’ standards.

The CARB group organized this as a political slight against the current administration (by their own admission) in trying to force them into not moving forward with their plans of relaxing the standards. Plus the CARB group wants to maintain their ability to create their own rules.

I live in CA; the money we spend to meet these additional requirements set by the state isn’t cheap. (Requiring our own special gasoline adds almost 80 cents a gallon) Back in the 70s when the rules were first established, the reasoning was sound. But now with the advancements in technology and new federal standards, there doesn’t seem to be a valid reason why CA should be able to create it’s own emissions laws and pass the cost onto the consumer. (Yet, they are also doing it in the home market by requiring every new home have solar panels installed)

And I hate that thing up top too. There’s nothing assertive about these teenybopper cars...they look like toys.

(Just my two cents above)

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think some are over-complicating this. Crossovers make up the largest segment of the US vehicle market - accounting for 40% of the total market. Compact cars take the third position with 12% making them more popular than midsize/full-size sedans, vans, or full-size SUVs. A lot of people want a jack-of-all-trades vehicle even if they don't actually have a need for one and even if the vehicle isn't really the jack-of-all-trades they think it is. Why wouldn't a car manufacturer make a compact crossover?

On a side note, I really like the Escapes from a few years ago. They're peppy and handle surprisingly well. Their ground clearance allowed me to go where my sedan can't and provided a better space for transporting my dogs as well. Currently, an Expedition is much better suited to my needs, but I wouldn't mind a small crossover as a spare vehicle.

ynpmoose

Reaction score
These do better than you think in a crash. This t-bone + rollover with a full size pickup happened yesterday.

FB_IMG_1564139626040.jpg

FB_IMG_1564140219843.jpg

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think price is a major driver for why as many or more eco sports are sold vs Expedition. Expedition what $70 to $80K new? Ecosport starts at a MSRP of $20K.

Why buy sedan when you get more room in a mini suv for the same price?

The Honda Element, Nissan Cube & Scion XB showed folks wanted more than what sedan offers. The CRV & RAV4 are huge sellers. Both Honda & Toyota offer even smaller SUVs than these. Ford is just following the trend.

https://www.best-selling-cars.com/global/2018-full-year-international-global-top-car-brands/

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed. This all goes back to CAFE; they have to make those numbers for the fleet.

Today it was announced that Ford (along with BMW, Honda and VW) went behind the feds directly to the California Air Resources Board to discuss and establish new requirements for fuel economy into the 2020’s.

There was talk at the federal level of relaxing the CARB requirements set back in the late 2000s and removing California’s ability to set it’s own emission standards (no other state is permitted to set emission standards for themselves. Other states can choose to follow CA’s standards and many do. But no other state can create such standards)

The automakers want a single set of rules to abide by and from what I read, Ford in particular was interested in this meeting in hopes of gaining clarity and creating a game plan for future vehicles. They don’t want to have to sell two different types of cars to meet some states’ standards.

The CARB group organized this as a political slight against the current administration (by their own admission) in trying to force them into not moving forward with their plans of relaxing the standards. Plus the CARB group wants to maintain their ability to create their own rules.

I live in CA; the money we spend to meet these additional requirements set by the state isn’t cheap. (Requiring our own special gasoline adds almost 80 cents a gallon) Back in the 70s when the rules were first established, the reasoning was sound. But now with the advancements in technology and new federal standards, there doesn’t seem to be a valid reason why CA should be able to create it’s own emissions laws and pass the cost onto the consumer. (Yet, they are also doing it in the home market by requiring every new home have solar panels installed)

And I hate that thing up top too. There’s nothing assertive about these teenybopper cars...they look like toys.

(Just my two cents above)

Best post I have seen about CA. I hate the state because of this!!

The feds should take their power away to make laws. They have affected the rest of us for way too long!

The need isn't there anymore. They had a smog problem and they dealt with it.

NO one else had the problem and might not have still even 50 years later.

Plati

Reaction score
…...

The need isn't there anymore. They had a smog problem and they dealt with it.

NO one else had the problem and might not have still even 50 years later.
Sorry Dude, you are not correct. GIGO

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry Dude, you are not correct. GIGO
Well, I over simplified it a lot but my point is they had a major smog problem in the sixties and seventies and they enacted legislation and things to clear it up. The rest of the country and all the Fly Over States Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and many other ones got it. Never had any sort of smog problem. Most of the states once you get 10 miles away from a city which they only have three or four in the whole state of large ones, are covered by corn or soybean fields.
However, California is regulations filtered on into an affected people in other states. This is where I have an issue with it.
I don't believe any of the above is incorrect.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
I don't like them either. Way too small. But there is absolutely a market for them.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford makes stuff, they sell all over the world. Toyota by comparison, sells around 30 different models. The 'entitled millennials' and wussified beta males, like Subaru and Honda cars. Ford marketing is aiming at them, not Expedition owners.

spt87a

Reaction score
The "Why Ford" questions for me are:

- why no V8 in the Expedition; the fact the Expedition went from the Gen 1 dominating the market to being behind the Yukon, Tahoe and Suburban says how well this has worked out.
- why the stupid turn dial shift knob in the Expedition. That one thing alone makes me look elsewhere.
- The new Ranger - how come no manual transmission option. And not a garbage china made manual like the Mustang please. You have people who have held onto previous gen Rangers and Sport Tracs with manuals who would be prime to upgrade - but now they will go to Toyota or Jeep. Never thought I would consider a Toyota but the Tacoma can be had with a manual.