Wilwood TX6R Extreme install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my test fitting of the Wilwood BBK...

20200502_115923.jpg 20200502_121035.jpg 20200502_121025.jpg 20200502_121330.jpg
The stack of washer represents the clearance I have from caliper to rim...

I am debating if this is too close for comfort before I hook up brake lines. Think that's enough clearance to be safe?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems like quite a bit of clearance. Calipers do move slightly when applying the brakes but the movement tends to be towards the rim vs the spokes. I had a stick on wheel weight once on the inside of the rim that would only rub the caliper when applying the brakes but not under normal driving. Maybe spin the wheel while on a jack stand and stab the brakes while an assistant watches to see if there is any movement of the caliper.

Last edited:

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's lots of space between the caliper and the spokes. You also have at least 2 inches of clearance between the caliper and the rim, so shouldn't be any issues. I checked my stock caliper and it's 1/2" away from the spokes at the closest spot, so 3/8" should be fine.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well ****... Everything lines up and the 22inch rim seems to have enough clearance but the brake lines provided could not be installed. Threads appear to be the same and I insured it was perfectly parallel when started to thread and no dice. Old lines went back on fine. Need to find a substitute adapter before moving on. :(:uhoh2::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are those rated for street use? Wilwood used to sell all or mostly drag only stuff that lacked environmental seals for street use.

Reaction score
Great stuff, thanks for sharing! Why are you doing this swap? Unsatisfied with the performance of the factory set up? Doing a lot of towing and expect these Wilwoods to perform better? Any data to support the expectation?

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m looking forward to your follow-up posts about the performance. I would also like to know if there is any change to your dynamic cruise control and emergency brake assist.

Straight Pipes did a review of a 2019 Escalade with a big brake kit. They said the big brake kit made the dynamic cruise control feel ‘jerky’ due to the initial bite and increase braking performance.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great stuff, thanks for sharing! Why are you doing this swap? Unsatisfied with the performance of the factory set up? Doing a lot of towing and expect these Wilwoods to perform better? Any data to support the expectation?

I am doing it for a couple reasons... None of them being totally necessary

I wanted a little more stopping power. I love the way the bigger rotor fills up the 22inch wheels. Plus I just like tinkering and upgrading.

I called a local shop today and he is going to help me finding a better fitting for the stainless braided lines.

I will update after I visit the shop Wednesday.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m looking forward to your follow-up posts about the performance. I would also like to know if there is any change to your dynamic cruise control and emergency brake assist.

Straight Pipes did a review of a 2019 Escalade with a big brake kit. They said the big brake kit made the dynamic cruise control feel ‘jerky’ due to the initial bite and increase braking performance.

Well I never use the dynamic cruise control but I will test it once I get the brakes on.